Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Sailing Broadhead >

Sailing Broadhead

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sailing Broadhead

Old 10-04-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Sailing Broadhead

I stepped outside this afternoon to shoot my bow for the final time before my hunt on Saturday. I have been shooting field tips and placing a very good group from 30,40 and 50 yards. For some reason, I threw on my practice 100 grain muzzy broadheads and my shots started sailing about 6-8 inches high. Is this normal?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sailing Broadhead

Yes, it's normal to have to adjust things when switching from one to the other. No, it's not right.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:58 AM

It's a pretty good indication that either your arrows or your bow is not tuned properly. Keep in mind, that field tips can fly well out of poorly tuned arrows or bows. What a hunter really wants to know, is how their broadhead fly, especially when it's breezy out.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:15 AM

It is normal for the broadheads to fly different than the field tips. Sometimes it is a tuning problem sometimes not. Make sure the broadheads are alligned with the fletch, the head is square on the arrow. Usually a broadheadwill hit lower than the field point, so I don't know what is going on with that. Make sure everything is alligned and then shoot some more. I use to have similar problems when I shot muzzys. I could get them flying alright, but they would plane on me once in a while. Switched to G5 strykers and have not had a problem. They fly just like my field tips. Good luck with your setup.