Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New to Bow hunting need some pointers >

New to Bow hunting need some pointers

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New to Bow hunting need some pointers

Old 09-24-2007, 06:09 PM

Default New to Bow hunting need some pointers

I am new to bow hunting just bought a miller orion bow. i have no idea on how to go about sighting my bow. and also i am having a huge problem with my string hitting my forearm despite the guard. Need serious help. Thinking about trying to make a hunt this weekend. but need some pointers first.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Default RE: New to Bow hunting need some pointers

ok first off, for the hand issue, your arm should be bent, and if your not bending it your draw lenght may need to be shortend alittle, for sighting in if your new like me i would stick to 20-25 max if that, for sighting usally alot of people set there pins at 10 yards 20 yards 30 yards ect. so measure out to ten yards and start practiceing if your shooting to the left move your sight to the left, if it is shoot down move your sight down, ect. also if you havnt it is a must to have your bow tuned by a professional at a pro shop, not basspro, or gander moutain ect. i have learned that the hard way, make sure the arrows you are shooting are setup for your bow and are the the right arrows lenght, i really dont think you are going to be ready this weekend if you practice alot and your form is good and you dont run into problems you might be ready in like 2 weeks or so, another question that people ask is groupings how close should they be the way i think is at 10 yards 1 inch groupings at 20 yards 2 inch groupings 30 yards 3 inch groupings ect. you need to make sure you are anchoring at the same spot every time, so find a comfy spot that you know your anchoring at every time, also dont torque your grip it you shouldnt grip it very tightly just alittle bit that could give you bad groupings, also make you you fletching are clearing you cables, i have to slightly adjust mine so they dont, and what is your draw weight? with your draw weight it should be very comfy to pull back, and you shouldnt have to stick the bow in the air to be able to pull it back you should be able to hold you bow straight out and pull it back, and depending what rest you have but especally with full containment rests like the whisker biscuit, which is what i use, you have to make sure you are following up with the shot which means after you release an arrow you should keep the pin on the target until the arrows hits the target, and dont punch you release you should gentely pull the trigger just like a rifle squeeze it slowly, and if you can or already have get string leeches limbsavers and a stabilizer, and put some pics on here of you pulling back ur bow so we can see if there is anything wrong with your form, and if possible, try to have a mentor and have him/her help you with shooting if not that is ok, and if you shoot the whisker bisciut try blazer vanes they really help, that isbout at much as i can think of to help ya out, if you have any problems, let us no we can help
hope this helps
mike
Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 PM

i actually have no idea what draw weight i have or how to adjust it. i am very new to this the only thing i have done so far was actually moved my draw lenght down. as far as that i have no idea what i am doin. any quick hints?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not being funny with you, but in don't think you should be thinkin about hunting quite yet IMO . You need to get some serious practice time in , i've had my bow 3months and have learn'nt a lot in that time and i would not go hunting till i'm hitting 4"groups at 40yds . Food for thought .

Go to the pro shop and ask them to sort your lenght and draw weight out with you . You have to bend your arm to stop slap and as for the setting up your site ... where your arrow goes thats where you put the pin . start at 10 yds .

Good luck

Old 09-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I practiced a full year(ok 10 months)before I even went into the woods to hunt,that was 24 yrs ago..Its a hole differant game with bow and arrow alot of things cango wrong.IMHO.If I were you I would practice this year and hunt nxt yr.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the othrs that you shuld not consider hunting yet, but you're your own policeman. Just give a thought to what it does to the image of bowhunting if you make dumb mistakes. Bowhunting is not a sport of going out and flinging arrows hoping to hit something.

However, string slap? Don't know if I can get this link right but here goes. www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/getagrip
This should show you how to NOT grip a bow. And contrary to popular belief it's not necessary to bend the bowarm. Straight but not locked will work, too. Hand position is of utmost importance along with getting the draw length right.

Quick way to check draw length. Stand w/ back against a wall. Stretch out your arms to the side at shoulder height. Measure fingertip to fingertip of your middle fingers. Divide this by 2.5. If your measurement falls somewhere between two numbers use the shorter. This will get you close to what may be your optimum. Notice I didn't say "correct".
Old 09-25-2007, 02:18 PM

i would certainly agree... before I even started lookin for a bow i'd written off bow season this year and I'm gonna stick with gun season until I feel I'm ready... hopefully by this time next year...
Old 09-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Spike

I agree, you shouldnt hunt unless you are 100% familiar and confident in your equipment. It takes most people at least a year to really get use to their new bow if they have never shot before. Practice and get the feel for your bow. Its a lot better to kill a nice one next year then making a bad shot on one this year and not finding him. That kind of experience early in yourbowhuntingdayscan ruin a guy with a gutwrenching memory that lasts a lifetime. Do the right thing and practice it will pay off in the long run. Good luck on your shooting and let us know how you progress.