HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Bow hunting need some pointers
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to Bow hunting need some pointers

I agree with the othrs that you shuld not consider hunting yet, but you're your own policeman. Just give a thought to what it does to the image of bowhunting if you make dumb mistakes. Bowhunting is not a sport of going out and flinging arrows hoping to hit something.

However, string slap? Don't know if I can get this link right but here goes. www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/getagrip
This should show you how to NOT grip a bow. And contrary to popular belief it's not necessary to bend the bowarm. Straight but not locked will work, too. Hand position is of utmost importance along with getting the draw length right.

Quick way to check draw length. Stand w/ back against a wall. Stretch out your arms to the side at shoulder height. Measure fingertip to fingertip of your middle fingers. Divide this by 2.5. If your measurement falls somewhere between two numbers use the shorter. This will get you close to what may be your optimum. Notice I didn't say "correct".