Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Muzzy Point of Impact >

Muzzy Point of Impact

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Muzzy Point of Impact

Old 09-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Muzzy Point of Impact

My bow is perfectly tuned to shoot 100gr field points but both my Muzzy practice point and the actual Muzzy hunting points consistently shoot 2" low and 2" right at 25 yds. Should I move my sights to accommodate the Muzzy point or switch over to my mechanicals which I do not have a lot of faith in on quartering shots but have the same POI as the field tips.
Also, why would the Muzzy's point of impact be that much different using the very same arrowsI used with my field tips?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Muzzy Point of Impact

Trex, unless everything is pefect, bow, bow/arrow combo and arrows, Muzzy's are known to be slightly off POI even though they fly perfect and group perfect.

I've shot Muzzy for close to 15 years and years past my Muzzys would group about an inch low/left. I made the sight adjustment.

This new bow, my Allegiance and ACC's I'm getting perfect POI with Muzzy's. I don't know why.

If you wish to make the minor sight adjustment, do so and if you still want to shoot field points for practice through the season this is what I do.

If your POI for your Muzzy are 2" low/right the place a dot/mark there and place a dot/mark at your field point POI. If you aim for your broadhead mark with your field points, they will hit the mark high/left. Aim for one, hit the other. You know your bow is still on.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, Rob. I really preferred to use the Muzzy heads. I think I will take your advice and go ahead and move the sights.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Either that, or you can look at Easton's tuning guide and make MINUTE adjustments to your rest and probably bring the POI together... I was in the same boat earlier in the summer, but ended up making almost imperceptible changes and finally got the two hitting together.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

im having a similar trouble this year. i am used to using Eastons Broadhead tuning method. tried it this year, many times. when i get my muzzys hitting where i want them, my FPs are shooting high(my broadheads were shooting lower than my FPs. i started completely from scratch 3x now. i cant figure it out. gave up...flight and grouping is terrific. id love to know what it wrong..but i cant figure it out....they shoot great clear out to 40 and match my pins that were set for my FPs...

if you havent tried broadhead tuning yet, its definently worth a shot. i had no trouble till this time around. normally i can close my eyes, grab an arrow with any of the 4 fixed blade broadheads or the mechanicals i had and it didnt matter...hit where i aimed. not this time around though lol...oh well...flight and grouping is good thats what matters...

if you DO follow the eason guide, make the adjustments REALLY small like Greg said....literally fractions of an inch....
Old 09-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

I was shooting with bare prongs on my rest. I put silicon covers on the prongs and this raised it just enough to get the elevation corrected.Ever so slight gang movement of my pins put me right where I need to be with the Muzzy.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:31 AM

My bow is perfectly tuned to shoot 100gr field points
Chances are, it's not the bow, but the arrows that are not perfectly tuned. Muzzys shoot right where they're supposed to if everything (especially the arrows) are perfectly tuned. Arrow tuning, includes spine tuning, bare shaft tuning, spin tuning and proper cutting techniques. Very, very few hunters tune their arrows for a perfect match to their bow.

You can still kill deer with less than perfectly tuned setups, but that's not how I prefer to hunt. Perfect arrow flight will resist planing in wind, cut down on deflections off twigs and will be overall more forgiving. Add in greater penetration potential and I have all the reasons needed to get it right.

I'm currently shooting Muzzy Phantoms at 220 gr and they fly perfectly with my equally weighted field tips. I've also not had trouble with other models of Muzzys in the past.