Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow Hunting Noob Question.. >

Bow Hunting Noob Question..

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Hunting Noob Question..

Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bow Hunting Noob Question..

I feel someone is jerking our chain.[&:]
Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 PM

Yea, I'm just thinking I need to go shoot a few and decide what I like.

Any opposition to Parker Bows? Say the Wildfire XP? There is a package with a wisker biscuit, quiver, 3 pin f.o. sight, peep sight, and braided sling for like $369.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:57 PM

Hey there bro.....hate to see you get off to a bad start here....my sincere advise would be to go shopping at the pro shops first....let the pros tell you what draw length you need...then get several opinoins before you buy anything.....the price of a bow, or the brand isn't near as important than having your bow fit you to a tee..... Its easier for experienced archers to watch you draw a bow and help you get the right weight and draw length established.....THEN learn how to shoot it with proper form....if you need meat this year get your aught-6 out of the closet....this archery isn't something you should just jump in and hunt with.....Kirk
Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 PM

PS: I'm new to this site here, but got a bunch of years in archery...if i can be of anyhelp....just holler! Kirk
Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 PM

I think it would be prudent to stick with the crossbow this season. Then, you won't have to rush to find equipment and you'll have all year to work on your shooting.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:09 AM

In my opinion, if you want to give this season a shot, you need the services of a very experienced archery shop to get you ready. Who has the best reputation in archery in your area? That is where you want to go.

Bow brand isn't important. They are all fine. Choice of arrows and proper arrow tuning is far more important. You need help with this from people who know what they're doing. Proper fit and instruction will get you shooting small groups in no time.

Once you're comfortable with your shooting ability (broadheads attached), it's time to hunt. That may or may not happen this season. I'm not in the camp that says you need to practice for a year. If you're shooting your broadheads real well, your only real experience with the rest, will come in the woods. You can't practice buck fever, and you can't know what senerios will arise. The best thing for the first couple seasons is to limit your shot distance to a very short range. I usually recommend 15 yards, but it's an individual thing and for each person to decide. Bowhunting's image is hurt by people who don't know or abide by their limitations.

No matter your ability or experience level, the thing that every bowhunter needs to control is the temptation to shoot past their effective range. For a beginner you simply have to keep it short until you learn your abilities. Don't worry, bowhunting is all about keeping it short. In almost 40 years of bowhunting, I've only shot past 20 yards on a few occassions. Each year brings numerous opportunities in close - most inside of 12 yards. At this range, skills other than shooting ability are more important and only learned while hunting.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 AM

Thanks guys. Its good to hear some positive encouragement. Although I don't have years of experience shooting bows, or really know about the new equip, I do have field experience. I have had deer directly under my stand on numerous occasions.. which has really taught me how to keep my nerves and how Scent Management is KEY.

Looks like I am going to run up to the Pro-Shop tomorrow after work and try to get some things figured out.

Anyone here familiar with shops in CO? Tanglewood Archery seems pretty legit.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Tha_Grouch

Anyone here familiar with shops in CO? Tanglewood Archery seems pretty legit.
If you come up to the Fort Collins area I highly recomend Arrow Dynamics. They set you up, sight in, paper tune etc.... nice indoor range. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Well.. the problem has been solved. My gracious cousin is footing the bill on a new Hoyt Vectrix XL. Which is downright awesome.. and way over the top. It is being setup by a guy in Knoxville and being sent to me. I guess I can have the pro-shop here help me out if I need any fine tuning.. and if its not right, he said he'll take it back and fix me up with something else.

I'm stoked. Now I need to find some new Scentlok.. and get to work practicing.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:17 PM

Be sure and eat lots of beans, popcorn, and garlic, before you suit up in that new scent lock....LOL! Its a waste of money IMO....