Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 new fletcher needing help and advice >

new fletcher needing help and advice

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

new fletcher needing help and advice

Old 07-25-2007, 12:12 PM

Default new fletcher needing help and advice

Im looking to start fletching my own arrows. I'm thinking about a Bitzenburger with blazers? I'm looking for more info before I buy all the stuff. Any info will help like helical or straight, what type of glue, crest or no crest, stuff like that. I'm shooting Epic st shafts and whisker biscut.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new fletcher needing help and advice

Blazers are your best option through the biscuit, and the Bitz is far and away the best jig you can buy. Since blazers are so short, helical is pretty much negated, so just a slight offset, or straight, is good. Straight works good though the biscuit. As far as glue, I use Fletch-Tite without any problems at all. Goat Tuff is good, but rougher to get off the arrows when you re-fletch. Crasting is simple with the new wraps available, no need to paint anymore!
Old 07-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new fletcher needing help and advice

Use wraps and the old fletching glue comes off pretty easily! The bitz is the best jig you can get hands down. Yes, it is expensive, but it is well worth the money. Blazers are great vanes and are very, very durable. If you get the Bitz and are going to use blazers, just put a blazer in the clamp (without any glue) and put as much of a helical as possible, making sure that the vane stays fully in contact with the shaft. This will get you the most helical possible. I use fletch-tite on my vanes and have had no problems. After you fletch an arrow, add a little dab to the front and the back of the vane to make sure it has a good bond on the shaft....especially if you are going to use a whisker biscuit.