Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 with my setup what would you use..please help >

with my setup what would you use..please help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

with my setup what would you use..please help

Old 07-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: with my setup what would you use..please help

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

ORIGINAL: TFOX
The slower the arrow flies the MORE stabilization it will need.This would mean that the blazers probably wouldn't be as good as a 4" feather for you.
Tfox, I'm not doubting you, just don't remember hearing that before. What physics principle is involved there? I'm also wondering how much less stable an arrow is going 210 fps vs 250 fps. Any additional details would be appreciated.

I think I read something to that effect in the Easton tuning guide but can't seem to find it.

It does state that a fast arrow can't have too much drag or it will become unstable at distance and groups will open up.

Maybe I remembered that and correlated it to the slower arrows needing more stability,I am not sure.There is a slight chance I am wrong on this one,slight.

Maybe if you feel like reading the whole tuning guide,you will be able to find it.[&:]

Of course,things like foc will changes things,the heavy foc like you use would probably allow you to use no fletching.[8D]

Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Default RE: with my setup what would you use..please help

Of course,things like foc will changes things,the heavy foc like you use would probably allow you to use no fletching.[8D]
You might be joking, but I'm not sure that's too far off. I've been experimenting with lots of combinations of extreme FOC arrows and the higher the FOC, the slower the arrow seems to fly, the more accurate my shooting is. I've got 65 lb draw bows shooting arrows around 200 fps and I think I could shoot them in a hurricane and have them hit the mark (if I could keep my bow stable).

Less speed probably means less drag, but a slower arrow is in the air longer, exposing it to the drag for a longer time. I was thinking it was kind of a wash, but drag probably has some geometric relationship to speed. You probably are right, but if the FOC is high enough and the spine is correct, very little drag is needed (proven by how my bareshafts fly)