Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead and arrow help >

Broadhead and arrow help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead and arrow help

Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead and arrow help

I am currently shooting around 50 pound bow with carbon 30-50 arrows and 85 grain broadheads.....my arrows are starting to swerve when I shoot them and I was wondering if I should get a heavier broadhead or if it might have something to do with my arrows.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead and arrow help

Could be a number of things wrong from bow tune to spine been shot out.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:50 AM

I can't tell you what the problem is, but I can let you know how to design a hunting arrow so it has a good chance of going where you're pointing it.

Lots of weight on the front will resist outside forces that tend to make the arrow plane. 85 grains is very light. The heavier you go, the easier it is to control the arrow.

Arrow spine has to match your tip weight combined with draw weight, arrow length and draw length. This can be a difficult concept for some, and you're already limited. You already have an arrow at a set length. Most trim there arrows to shoot as short a length as possible, leaving no room to trim them. Your draw length is fixed, so hopefully you can adjust the draw weight on your bow.

The third component of a good hunting arrow is one with a lot of drag on the rear. The fletching should be light weight, get the arrow spinning (helical or offset), and offer lots of air resistance. Feathers are great at all of these.

From your description, I'd be willing to bet that your arrow is under spined. Combine that with a light broadhead, and well, have fun hitting anything. I'd recommend starting over and getting as much help as you need to get the next set of arrows designed for hunting with your setup. I'm sure that many here would be willing to help. To really evaluate your current setup, we'd need a whole lot more detail on both the arrows and the bow.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

id try a 100gr head and maybe a little heavier arrow to help absorb and hold some of the energy.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

You don't give us your draw length and draw weight, or what bow you shoot, or whether you shoot fingers or release (I'd guess release though), so it's kinda rough to give you any real help.

My best semi-educated wild@$$ed guess is, since you're shooting 50 lbs; since your arrows are only 30-50 spine to start with; and since carbons are notorious for getting their spine 'shot out', your arrows are underspined. I'd suggest going up to the next size shaft and using 100-125 gn heads.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well my bow is a Browning micro adrenaline and I shoot with a release. My bow used to shoot great when it was set at a 40 pound draw weight, but now since I increased it to 50 pounds it has made everything go crazy. I guess I will try the 100gr. broadheads and maybe a heavier arrow. I am pretty sure my drawlength is like 28 inches, so I dont know if that helps.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, you just confirmed my suspicion. You have exceeded your arrows' spine range. You need stiffer arrows, like 5570's. No 'maybe' about it. If you just go to 100 gn heads now, you'll just make matters worse. Get stiffer arrows first and THEN you can try heavier heads.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, cool. I will go out and shoot a couple this week and see if it helps. Thanks
Old 06-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with Arthur. As he suggests, you need a stiffer arrow. I'd also try a little heavier point weight to aid the FOC a bit. Something like a Gold Tip 5575 with 100 grain tips should help a lot.