Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow/Broadhead FOC?? >

Arrow/Broadhead FOC??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow/Broadhead FOC??

Old 03-07-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Arrow/Broadhead FOC??

I know thissubject has beentouched onover a million times, but I'm going tobring it up again.

This is my set-up: 70# Bowtech Mighty Mite VFT, 28" draw, 5575 GT pro-hunters - 26" cut length, arrow wraps w/ 2.25" quik-spins, 100 gr. Nitron broadheads. 355 gr. total arrow wt.

I get different answers on how to measure FOC. With or without the broadhead length? the Nitron adds about an inch to my overall length. My FOC is 2.75". When not using the broadhead length, I get 10.5%, with the broadhead, I get 10.0%. I know I'm probably stupid for worrying about a half of a percent!!

TheNitrons are a smaller broadhead, so the smaller quik-spins should do the job of controlling them..right??? Is 10-10.5% a good FOC for my set-up??
Old 03-07-2007, 04:43 AM

Default RE: Arrow/Broadhead FOC??

Personally, I use the total arrow length with my broadhead attached. I've heard all the arguments for not counting the tip, but I'm not convinced by those on that side.

In practical experience, it doesn't really matter. The actual number is not important. What is important, is that you're able to accurately shoot your broadheads at any distance and that you provide enough weight up front to provide some forgiveness in wind, when hitting small twigs or grasses or when hitting bone. The higher the FOC, the greater the forgiveness. On the downside (in some people's view), your arrow will fly slower as you put more weight on your arrow. I don't subscribe to the notion that trajectory is affected by weight up front, vs weight somewhere else. My shooting experiments simply don't verify this at typical hunting distances.

A half of a percent won't mean much. On the other hand, five percent can be a big deal. Personally, I would never shoot a broadhead on a 10% FOC arrow, but that's just me. I want the forgiveness that I find on extreme FOC arrows (over 20%). Keep in mind, that you can't just pick an FOC and put lots of weight up front. You have to design the arrow for that weight, at your draw length and draw weight. It's a dymanic formula that needs lots of thought before building your arrows. Once an arrow is cut to length, the only way to make different weight tips work optimally, is to adjust draw weight. Most people pop on different weight broadheads without ever touching draw weight or considering what is does to the arrow spine.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless of what the Easton charts say I always use the full length of the arrow, too. It's all part of what's leaving the bow. But you are picking a straws worrying about .5%. Anything around 10 to 15% FOC should be good. I've shot broadheads with as little as 8% and as high as 17% with equally good results at normal hunting distances. The lower FOC will often allow the arrow to drift at longer ranges. You just have to do your own testing and see what works best for you.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

For years I have always measured FOC using the full length of the arrow plus broadhead. The shorter broadhead will slightly change FOC, but not much at all. The weight of the broadhead will change FOC more. Since I have gone to a shorter, smaller broadhead my FOC slightly decreased but is still within the range I feel comfortable with. And I am not going to change broadheads simply because my FOC slightly changed.....especially when I have had such good success with it.