Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow movement

Old 05-29-2007, 12:54 PM

Default RE: arrow movement

your nose touches the cockvane?

sometimes you have to move things the opposite way w/ a biscuit.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

From the pictures you sent me before Frank you just needed to move your hand down until your thumb is cradling your jaw for an anchor point. it sounds as if you may have moved in the opposite direction.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

well, when the weather gets better I'll ask my girlfriend to take some pics of me at full draw.
I moved the peep up but I still have my indexfinger finger stretched just under my ear....
and I'm not complaining here, I'm shooting nice little groups at 20 yards

but let's just all wait for my new arrows, ok...........
Old 05-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good.I still owe you pictures of me at draw. I'll email a few to you.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul,

Okay, well I was starting to wonder if I had any issues. Sometimes an arrow flight will catch my eye as being very erratic, but it straightens itself out prior to hitting the target, and the arrows are all hitting at the same angle. So I assume that you can have a well tuned bow with properly spined arrows and still get some erratic arrow movement at the beginning of the trajectory, correct?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:20 PM

It can happen, or at least look that way when you release it. The only way to know for sure is to paper test at different distances or bare shaft test.

If you are consistent enough and have good enough follow through to see your arrow on the way to the target half your battle is over in my opinion.

I am never concerned with what I see an arrow do in the air as long as I am confident my bow is tuned well.

Wind will really whip the around as well.

Cork screwing is something entirely different though. If you see this you have a bent arrow, a grossly miss aligned insert or something seriously wrong with your fletchings.

Paul
Old 05-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

If your arrow has any other movement other than straight off the rest then more than likely it is either bad spine , bad tune, bad form. and even bad bow. Anything that touches the arrow during flight causes some kind of movement to the arrow. I do know that all arrows wobble off the rest but that is only to absorb the strings energy and it normally happens so fast the human eye cant see it and the arrow straightens itself out about 2-3 feet off the string.

If your arrow is wobbling still down range then there is definately a bigger problem than just bent arrows. If you spin the arrow and find that just the tip is bent and not the nock end then more than likely that arrow should fly straight enough togive a decent bullethole in paper butwhen you put a broadhead on it, lookout. If the nockends are bent then the arrow will fly all over the place and it is impossible to tune with a bad arrow.

I would just take that Whisker Bisquit off and put a regular two prong rest and see if your arrow still reacts the same.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bad vanes can cause erratic flight. I let my arrows sit in my soft case and it deformed some of the vanes. When I shot the back end of the arrow was doing 6" circles on the way to the target. I let the arrows sit out over night and today they shot great.

However, I didn't[:@]
Old 05-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Allright,

My vote for the occasional erratic looking flight is bad vanes. It's not a bad bow and I don't think it is tuning b/c at 10 yards to 30 yards, if I do everything right I will hit where I aim and the arrows are all consistently hitting the target at the proper angle (have not paper tested in a while though). I have had to glue a few of my vanes back on myself trying to match the existing offset (using 2" blazers). I also have a fletching that has a hole in it from another arrow. I will keep an eye out for bad flight and mark the offending arrow, and will pay a lot of attention when I start shooting broadheads again (soon). Learning how to properly fletch would probably also help.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Typical Buck

well, I have to say that my arrows are old and the vanes are battered, there's even inserts that are sticking out half and inch of being pulled out of the target so much...
so if the new arrows don't change a lot, I'll come back and tell you what happens.
Another thing that bothers me is the noise my bow makes, I can't compare it to anyone else's. I tried making the WB ring white with crayons and seeing if the layer was broken somewhere but it didn't.
I still think the arrows are touching the WB at the end, nock and vanes do have some damage on them....
so, hopefully friday I'll have my new arrows.

Quick Reply: arrow movement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.