Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Fletching arrows, questions >

Fletching arrows, questions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching arrows, questions

Old 12-16-2002, 07:55 AM
Spike

Default Fletching arrows, questions

Hi all,
Hope someone can help. I am interested in starting refletch my own arrows, and have a few questions that i couldnt find answers to in the archives. Firts, I am planning to get a Bitz jig, I have never heard anything bad about it, and it seems to be the best. What I need to know is how I would go about matching the angle of the helix from my current arrows on this jig to do my new ones. I am currenly shooting 5" feathers, and would like to continue to do so. My arrows have left wing feathers also. Could someone please tell me what I will need to do to match these? Thanks again
Scott Sheets
Old 12-16-2002, 10:48 AM

Default RE: Fletching arrows, questions

bass, are you shooting a shoot thru rest (tm style) if you are you need a tm nock indexer, the bltz comes with a nock out and you need a nock down if you are using . I have a blitz and I love the way they set up the fletching, perfect every arrow

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110
Old 12-16-2002, 11:48 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

First you need to get the left wing helical clamp with the fletcher, then put one of your fletched arrows in the jig and place the clamp on the fletch and adjust until it is in the right spot, then tighten everything down and you should be ready. If you are using uni-nocks you don't need to worry about the nock receiver, just fletch the arrow and turn the nock accordingly.
mez
Nontypical Buck

First you need to get the left wing helical clamp with the fletcher, then put one of your fletched arrows in the jig and place the clamp on the fletch and adjust until it is in the right spot, then tighten everything down and you should be ready. If you are using uni-nocks you don't need to worry about the nock receiver, just fletch the arrow and turn the nock accordingly.
mez
Nontypical Buck

Old 12-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

bassn81-

Be aware that the Bitz left and right helical clamps ARE NOT mirror images of each other. The left clamp has a 15 degree helical and the right clamp has 11 degree helical. The right clamp is easier to use with prong arrow rests with a set amount of clearance between them.

Any special reason you like left twist? Just curious because most prefer a right twist because it always will tighten up your field points- a left twist will always try and "unscrew" your points.

Old 12-16-2002, 08:29 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the info guys. Gotta love a board that gives good respose in less than a day.

Blackfrog- Thanks for pointing that out about the Bitz. I have no real reason for a left twist. I am fairly new to this stuff, and the first set of arrows I bought had left twist feathers. Now that you mention it I do have to screw in my points alot. I guess I will go with the right.
Thanks again
Scott
Old 12-17-2002, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Scott-

Well if you decide to stay with your left twist- here's a tip to keep your field points tighter. Take some of your string wax and put it on the threads of your field points. Keeps 'em much tighter with a left twist.

Best of luck-

Old 12-17-2002, 09:50 AM
Spike

Can someone explain the diffrence between straight, right, and left. I know that right, and left refers to the direction the feathers go from nock to tip, and the "wing" of the feathre based on the base of the feather. Is there anything else, and what is the purpose of strait?

Also, is the hellical adjustable on the Bitz jig. ie can I make the feathers more strait, but still at an anlge down the arrow, or do they have to be radically curved.
Sorry for the bad descriptions. Does anyone know of a book that would help as well?
Old 12-17-2002, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

The right and left helical are of a curved, helical pattern. Look directly down the edge of your helical clamp and you'll see the curvature. The straight clamp is just that- completely straight. The straight clamp allows you to put your fletching on straight and parallel with the shaft, or to apply some angled offset by dialing it in with the adjustment knobs on the Bitz.

The straight offset will still give your arrow some spin in flight, yet it may provide better clearance with some prong type of arrow rests.

The helical is kind of adjustable, but it will be very dependent on what diameter of shaft you're using, and the length fletching. There is always some trial and error to find the best fit of the clamp curvature on the shaft for the length of fletching being used, and the amount of helical you're trying to acheive. LIke I mentioned before, it may also depend on how much clearance you have between the prongs of a arrow rest. Once you get used to the Bitz and doing some fletching- you'll see that you can experiment with all kinds of fletching options.

You can put more helical angle or offset with a shorter fletching for a given opening between prongs. A longer fletching won't allow as much helical or offset and still be able to clear the prong opening width.