Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 few more questions about fletching >

few more questions about fletching

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

few more questions about fletching

Old 05-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default few more questions about fletching

1. I have looked around for jigs. I can get a Grayling for $30 and a Jo Jan Mono for $40. Any suggestions? Is the Jo Jan worth the extra $10 or is the Grayling fine?

2. Do I need a special jig to fletch the new bowing blazer vanes?

3. How the heck do you get the old flethcing and all the glue off. They sell tools but they look like they will gouge the carbon arrow. Is there some type of solvent available or what trick/tips do you have?

Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks I really appreciate the help.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:14 PM

Default RE: few more questions about fletching

1. I use the Grayling, and like it. I have no experience with the JoJan.

2. No

3. The commercially available tools work very well. They need to be sharp. I use the serrated end of a pocket knife, works quite well.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

3. The commercially available tools work very well. They need to be sharp. I use the serrated end of a pocket knife, works quite well.
I use a hook blade. They are for a utility knife but in a hook style. Should be able to find them where ever the knifes are sold.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:12 PM

3. How the heck do you get the old flethcing and all the glue off. They sell tools but they look like they will gouge the carbon arrow. Is there some type of solvent available or what trick/tips do you have?
I bought a Norway Zip Strip, which works reasonably well. But to be honest, it seemed like I could never get the arrow as clean as I liked with out gouging it somewhere. Now when I buy new arrows, I put an arrow wrap on first. Makes refletching them much easier.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

you could use a sharp knife just get the fletching off.then I use some acetone on a rag this will clean the glue right off but be carefull cause if there is writing on the arrows cause the acetone will take the writng off too.this works great for me also I use a bitzenburger fletching jig.the best there is! these will last a life time.they are made in michigan.I would suggest checking them out on ebay.cabelas probably has them but they retail for about 60.00.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:01 AM

I say spend the money for a jo-jan. I used both styles and the jo-jan was much easier to work with.

As for stripping the fletching, take a smooth blade knife that is really sharp and just keep an angle on it to gently strip the fletching off. Then use Acetone to whipe the shaft clear of old glue and other debris. Dont use alcohol, it has petroleum in it.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi,
I have been using the same Greyling jig for 12 years now and have had no problems with it.
The best way I find to remove old fletching and glue is a one sided razor blade it works great. Good Luck and keep on shooting Mike
Old 05-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Like Mike Hill I have been using a grayling for a while now with no problems.I would not use accetone(the same thing used in nail polish remover).Nail polish remover many times is used to unglue things that the super glues and crazy glues adhere to.Just use a knife or like nodog a hook knife(sheeps foot).