Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Target Practice

Old 01-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Target Practice

Should you sometimes practice shooting from a elevated position. I've heard pepole say that it's a lot differnet when your shooting in the air.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Target Practice

You should practice from any position you might have to shoot from. I practice sitting down, standing up, kneeling, from a ladder stand, the porch roof, close up & far away, reaching around things. You never know how or where the deer are going to come from & if you only practice standing at 20 yards you might be suprised what happens if you need to sit or kneel or stretch a bit, especially wth heavy winter clothes.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Should you sometimes practice shooting from a elevated position. I've heard pepole say that it's a lot differnet when your shooting in the air.
If your going to be hunting from an elevated stand then by all means you should be practising from it as well.Shooting down on a target or animal is different from a raised platform then on the ground.From the raised platform you must bend at the waist and aim where you want to hit.Another big factor from elevated stands is the distance looks farther away.For example 20 yards looks to be 30 yards,take some time to get used to this.Remember you are measuring from the base of the tree and not from your platform.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Alot of people hit higher from an elevated position, including me, because we don't bend at the waist enough to keep a 90 degree angle between the bow arm and the torso, and consiquently this changes the shot. I guess what I mean is, definetely practice up high for hunting.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:28 PM

It's always a good idea to practice from an elevated position if you plan on hutning from one when hunting season starts. As has been mentioned, remember to bend at the waist, don't bend your arm and tilt your head.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help. Now I need to get out there and practice.