Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
cat whiskers , leeches, or both >

cat whiskers , leeches, or both

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cat whiskers , leeches, or both

Old 12-13-2002, 02:36 PM

Default cat whiskers , leeches, or both

Which ones work best. Also I have been hearing about putting them on the cable (does this work?). Just asking before I get my new string made. By the way at my wal mart the leeches are on clearance at 3.33 for a pack of four.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cat whiskers , leeches, or both

I currently have the cat whiskers on mine. I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:34 PM

I use cat whiskers because I bought a pound of them off E-bay for $16.00 and also use a half set each on the cable/string on single cams. I cashed in on the Wal Mart clearance sale also, 10 packs of eliminator buttons for $.50 a card of 5, Hunter Specialities green soap for $2.00 a bottle for 8 of them, Muzzy 100 grain 4 blade for $10.00/3, Buck Wing Porta Roof camo umbrella/blinds for $5.00. Let's go huntin!
Old 12-14-2002, 10:54 PM

I got a winners choice string and cable for my cybertec and noiced that it made much less noise that the stock string. I didnt add any thing to the string and found it was quiet enough for me. On the other had I saw a Ultratec with a WC string and cable and it sounded horrible with out a catwisker at the bottom. Keep this in mind you will loose feet per second for every thing you add to the string.

I say try it with out anything, if nessary add a catwisker to the bottom but cut it short making a 1.5" ball. Try it again. Then add one to the top. If the top one makes no diffrence then use only one. This way you only add what you need and dont loose speed unnessarily.

This is just my opinion it works for me some hardcore hunters my think im crazy.
http://www.lumberportarchery.4t.com/
Old 12-15-2002, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

I put Sims string leeches on my string only. I
don't put them on until right before bow season
and only after my bow is already tuned. I then
take them off as soon as my tag is filled. They
really do a good job of silencing string noise
and I've got 2 years out of 2 leeches. With the
leeches on my arrow speed loss is only 1-2 FPS.
I tried it with four, attached to my cable also,
and did not notice a difference from just using
the two.

Old 12-15-2002, 11:26 AM

I suggest leeches for the string, and either wiskers, or leeches for the return string and/or buss cable.
I have a drop away rest, and the string served to the buss to operate the rest seems to quiet it down enough. On the return side of the string (1 cam bow) I put another leech near the cam. Big improvement.
Wanna know if it makes a difference? Just pluck the strings like palying a guitar...then put the leeches in.
I don't like wiskers on shooting strings anymore, because the speeds of new bows has the wiskers making a bit of wind noise. The damp vibration well...but to <u>ME</u> they seem to make more noise while the string is in motion.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:00 PM

I like whiskers just cause they dont have to be replaced ALL the time. Plus, when i added whiskers, i didnt loose ANY FPS to my bow. Leeches work great, there just kinda inconvenient. They do silence the string greatly though.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:30 AM

Cat Whiskers, they work good, last 4 ever, and cost a lot less. I have used leeches before and they do work great but the lifespan isn't very long. I guess it depends on what you want. Cat Whiskers are just less of a headache.