Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cat whiskers

Old 03-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cat whiskers

Have made my own strings and reserved them, now intrested in learning to tie on whiskers. Would appreciate any advice like what serving material to use, which whisters are best, how to tie on esp how to throw knot (s?). Any vidio out there re same?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Banned

Default RE: Cat whiskers

Send a PM to DNK. He can give you great step by step instructions on how to do it.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Cossack this is what I responded to you at the other forums.

Cossack, I use Fast Flight string material and leather gloves reinforced with duct tape. The reason for the Fast Flight is because you need to serve the whiskers on crazy tightly to the string or it will move and will not be as affective. Fast Flight also lays flat so it does not cut the rubber like end serving would.
The reason for the gloves is to prevent string cuts.
There are 15 to 20 wraps and 2 of these, one on top of each other. Three rows is good too.
The serving has 5 knots to tie it off. The first one is done with 3 wraps to make a know as opposed to one like a regular knot. Then on the opposite side of the string you do the same thing. On the opposite side a square knot is made. Then another square knot beside the first. I then force a 3rd square knot between the first two and then lay 5 more single knots on top of the last square knot. Burn/melt the ends down to lock it all.
Bee's wax is good to give the gloves grip. Practice, practice, practice. Anyone is welcome to call me if they want help.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

[hr] I've posted a picture of a knot similar to the first knot. It is actually a double overhand knot which is similar but add another wrap to turn it into a triple overhand knot. " />
Here is a cool website that shows some good knots or at least a visual on knots.
http://www.animatedknots.com/index.p...matedknots.com[/align]
Old 03-24-2008, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks DNK, you're advice is greatly appreciated. You also helped me with stringmaking. Thanks again.