Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Any negatives/positives to a STS or CSS? >

Any negatives/positives to a STS or CSS?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Any negatives/positives to a STS or CSS?

Old 03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Default Any negatives/positives to a STS or CSS?

Please list all of the negatives, if any with a STS or CSS, and all of the positives. I am doing some research and I want to be knowledgeable both ways. Thanks!!
Don[/align][/align]
Old 03-22-2007, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any negatives/positives to a STS or CSS?

The pros are that it will eliminate any remaining vibration, or shock from your bow that is not taken out by the normal accessories (Limb Savers, string silencers, stabilizer, etc.). After putting one on you may be surprised by how much vibration was there that you didn't realize you had. Another pro is that it completely deadens any sound from string oscillation allowing you to remove your string silencers and pick up a couple of FPS. They provide a consistent stopping point for the string so shot to shot consistency is improved by ensuring the nock leaves the string at the same point for each shot. Some have said this improves accuracy, but I'm not a good enough archer to notice a difference.

The cons are that it adds some weight to your bow (STS more so than CSS). They do require some adjustment to be completely effective. In some cases people have found that they did not make much of a difference on their bow. The twang that the string makes is replaced by a dull thud that bothers some people. They cost money.

I have used one for a couple of years now and from this point forward I will have one on every bow I own. I believe they are a worthwhile accessory, especially if you do a lot of shooting.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

PROS:It stops the string in the same place every time=more consistent Pretty much eliminates string slap OR hunting clothing getting in the way.
Makes the bow feel smoother on the shot +
Takes out any vibration you might feel before you put one on your bow.
Takes out any remaining noise you might have.
Very light-i didn't notice any extra weight on the bow after installing.
I think it just might SAVE your bow in case of "dry fire".

CONS:Some target classes don't allow them as it's considered a rear stabilizer.[&:]
I think they could be sold a little cheaper.jmho.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it just might SAVE your bow in case of "dry fire".
That I can atest too.

At the R100 the other weekend I was on the practice range when one of my pin nocks broke on release, the arrow hit my hand and barely made it 20 yards.
The rubber stopper came flying off but on careful examination of the bow that was the only damage. I just put the stopper back on and the bow shot fine after that even tho I was a little gun shy and clean missed the second target but still came in with a 484.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:49 AM

I have a Hoyt Pro Tec I bought recently that has an STS already installed. It seems to work well, although it is a little heavy.

Quick related question: Is the string supposed to actually touch the rubber button when the bow is static, or is there supposed to be a slight gap between the string andbutton? Thx.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The sweetspot varies from bow to bow--some work better actually pushing into the rubber and some work better with about 1/16" gap.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:45 PM

OK - thanks. When I first got the bow, there was a 1/16" gap. I could hear a slight buzzing sound coming off the string after firing. So I moved it back to where it just touched the string. Buzz quit. Was wondering if there was any down side to this, like reduced string life.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

OK - thanks. When I first got the bow, there was a 1/16" gap. I could hear a slight buzzing sound coming off the string after firing. So I moved it back to where it just touched the string. Buzz quit. Was wondering if there was any down side to this, like reduced string life.
Take a dollar bill, and fold it in half. If you can slip it through the gap between string and STS/CSS, you are all set. That is how I have set it up, and never have had a buzz. Now, if you have a Vectrix, that is a different story. Those can be a pain to get just right. You can serve the string where it contact the STS to reduce string wear, but it might cost you 1 or 2 fps.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Buy one. You will be impressed.I was hesitant. But I kept seeing it pop up in posts. It was a miracle cure for my mighty mite. I have since put one one my allegiance and have one coming for my new iron mace. I think it will be there when I get back from my business trip (looking forward to that more than seeing my wife)