Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Gold Tip question >

Gold Tip question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Gold Tip question

Old 12-11-2002, 11:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Gold Tip question

I have a question on the GT arrow. I am currently shooting the 5575. My DW is 60# and the arrow is 25.5" with a 100 grn Muzzy. I was able to group couple arrows, but some would group differently. I'm looking at the chart on their website, and they say that I should be shooting the 3555 with my setup. But on the arrow page the 3555 said DW is 35-55# and the 5575 said 55-75#. I'm shooting 60#, so I'm stump. Shall I be shooting 5575 (what I shoot now) or 3555? I don't have $$ just to try out. So what do you guys with more experience think?
Old 12-12-2002, 04:51 AM
Spike

Default RE: Gold Tip question

Gold-Tips chart clearly shows you should be shooting the 3555's. Don't be concerned about the 35-55# draw weight. Your short arrow length gives it a stiffer spine (meaning it can handle more draw weight).

I also wouldn't be concerned about shooting the 5575's. They will be a little over spined(to stiff) but that is better than being under spined(to flexible).

You stated that you were shooting 100grn. Muzzys.

Have you tried shooting field points?

I believe this could be part of the problem. Broadheads act as vanes on the front of your shaft and will magnify any tuning or
broadhead/shaft alighnment problems. This can cause erratic groups.

You might want to try shooting field points and see if your groups tighten. You also might want to try some different brands/types/styles of broadheads. Muzzy's are a very good broadhead , but some have had problems getting good flight with them (again this is probably due to a slight tuning problem).

I'm not going to get into recomending certain broadheads(thats something everyone needs to decide for themselves), but if you do some searching on this site there is plenty of info availible.

If you get good groups with field points and not broadheads you need to start doing some very fine tuning (rest, broadhead/shaft alignment, and possibly consider trying 3355's).

Good luck and follow up on how you make out.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:03 AM

Default RE: Gold Tip question

Ditto to what roughneck wrote...

Check them out with fieldpoints - if they group well then I'd spin test them to check for BH wobble.

Aim small miss small