Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rest Questions????? >

Rest Questions?????

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rest Questions?????

Old 03-12-2007, 02:26 PM

Default RE: Rest Questions?????

If you are losing that much speed with a WB it is set up WAY wrong.

Paul
Old 03-12-2007, 05:00 PM

I havent been a member for that long, but I have seen this argument many times already, and the points are always very good, but if you did a poll I think that you would get about 50/50 on WBvs. dropaway. I think whatever gives you the most confidence to make a clean kill is the right rest for you.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hallj86

I like the idea of the arrow staying in the rest when i an walking into my stand or just have the bow sitting at my side. When i pick it up with a WB i dont have to worry about the arrow falling or moving makeing noise which a deer would hear. Is that a drop away that sloves that problem???
There are several drop aways that have some sort of loop that contains the arrow, but does not hold it right on the rest. I think Schaffer is one and there are others.

One thing I would like to caution you on is the idea of walking to your stand or otherwise walking around with a hunting arrow on the string. Don't do it!! Don't know how long you've been at it, but you only have to slip or fall, or maybe step over a log one time and slice your leg one time, hitting an artery, and you ain't making it home anymore. Is this the price you might want to pay for a, maybe, one time shot in your lifetime? It's not worth it----never. Of course you can go into denial and say it would never happen to you, but.....
Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Ok I should rephrase that I dont do it walking up to my stand. There is a creek valley by my parents in major farmlands of Wisconsin. I mean you can find 20-30 deer held up in one 40 plot of woods if it is even a 40. I walk the top of the ledge with arrow set in a field and shoot the deer in the valley I got a lot of deer doing this since its a superhigway for them. I cant put a stand up because they farm said no. I dont know why he lets me walk it and shot them without a stand but whatever it works.

And for the second question about WB speed loss

I shoot a tomkat and I just got the trophy take drop away and didnt even get 1 fps increase from my bow so for my case it didnt help. But the big thing is my groups. Holy cow night and day difference at 35 yards i put 4 arrows in the 12 spot in one round hitting them together. I am sold with the increase in accuracy. I have never shot that great of groups with the WB to keep 4 arrows within a 2 inch circle at 35 yards is amazing. I am going to shoot my first scored round today and I will let you know what my score it.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the drawbacks to the WB is the noise it makes while drawing the arrow , with some arrows its= is quiet noticeable , Ive been busted by that sound by an allert doe on a calm mourning , thats the day it came off . For stalk hunting it is a great rest IMO , It does give some strange tuning results .
Old 03-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Wow I shot my best ever I got a 298/360 with 10 12spots an 9 10spots. I am sold on the drop away.