Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Need help on meat smoking lingo (acronyms) >

Need help on meat smoking lingo (acronyms)

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Need help on meat smoking lingo (acronyms)

Old 01-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Need help on meat smoking lingo (acronyms)

I went and registered with a meat smoking forum, wherein a guy mentioned smoking deer roast. He had some acronyms in there that I don't understand, and I've gotten no clarifying response to my question there, so thought I'd run them through you guys to see what he is saying.

He said he smoked his deer roast to "an IT of 140* naf, then FTC for about an hour."

I believe the"IT of 140*" means internal Temperature of 140 degrees. But what do "naf" and"FTC" stand for?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need help on meat smoking lingo (acronyms)

IT sounds like internal temp, but I have no Idea what naf or ftc are
When you find out please post.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Will do. I was wondering if FTC deals with jacking up the temps the last hour to get theoutsideof the roast crusty or something.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

FTC means foil, towel, cooler.Sounds stupid but it works well.

On tougher cuts of meat like a pulled pork or something like venison that drys out easy what you do is take it fro the smoker, rap it in a couple layers of aluminum, and then wrap it with a heavy towel.You can then put it in a cooler for a long, long time and it stays warm, this allows the juices to get drawn back into the meat instead of losing them when you start cutting it up hot from the smoker and it seems to make it a little tenderer.It really works wonders, escpecially if youre meat gets done before you plan to eat its a great way to keep it hot.

Warning-when doing this remember the meat will continue to cook itself after coming out of the smoker, if youve got a specific target temp you want the meat at take it out about 5 degrees before it reaches it.

IT would be internal temp and naf I have no idea on[>:]
Old 01-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks petasux! I might have to consider doing that as I learn more. I take it the cooler you put it in is empty, and not full of ice to cool the outside quicker?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you want an empty cooler, no ice.Doing this method I have had pork butts that were still to hot to pull over 4 hours after theyve come out of the smoker.Its pretty slick actually.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rest your meat cause it's tired after a long day of Qing [8D]. It's like grilling steaks or roasting meats ect. After you reach your desired temp pull it out and cover it with tin foil. This so called reasting helps with redistributeing (sp) the juices and has whats called carry over heat like petasux said. If I'm doing pulled pork, I'll put the finished pruduct in a turkey tin foil roastingpan cover with hd tin foil and let it rest about 15 to 20 mins. That way as i'm pulling I don't lose any juices. The turkey roasting pans work best for me cause I'll keep reusing it till it's not reuseable [8D].
Old 01-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Stab it , Jab it

if it's still on it's feet,,stab / poke it some more.