Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Thermacell, does it work on Ticks? >

Thermacell, does it work on Ticks?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thermacell, does it work on Ticks?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thermacell, does it work on Ticks?

I am gearing up for out April 1 of bow turkey season and the ticks are very bad in KS. Would a thermacell help keep them away. We usually just soak our camo down with some sort of bug spray but I don't like doing that since I will be deer hunting with the same camo.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thermacell, does it work on Ticks?

From every thing I have read on the Therma-cell is that it does NOT protect against ticks. The Therma-cell only repells a few flying/biting insects.
There are some products that have permethrin in them that you can use to spray on your clothing to help repell ticks. You can use them and thean wash your cloths are they'll be fine for deer hunting too!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 AM

No... They unfortunately dont stop ticks. Like Howler said get you some bug spray with permethrin in it. It is the best stuff out there that ive found. Spray your clothes down and let it dry completely. Do not wash it after that or it defeats the whole purpose. They actually make a scent free kind. It may smell like bug spray when it's wet but when it dries you cant smell it. I used that during the early season and never got busted. After one day, i walked back to camp and saw a few ticks on my pants, but it turned out they were all dead. Give it a try, it should work for you.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

No not for ticks , its for , no-see-ums and skeeters , deer flys will sill get you allso . Where I live its a necesity
Old 02-27-2007, 11:04 AM

Thermacell is pretty specific to mosquitos.

As Howler said you need to use permethrin. I live in Kansas and hunt those tick infested woods and use permethrin. You do not spray it on your skin you saturate your clothes and let it dry and your good for a couple weeks.

I have been using it the last couple of years and have gone tickless and I hunt a lot.

There are several companies that make products with permethrin but I like the Sawyer Premium brand.

good luck!

Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

If you have a military surplus store nearby go and check if they have the permathrin there. It is in a yellow can and like previously stated you spray it on and it last for a couple of weeks.
WW
Old 02-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get my hunting clothes sprayed with Demand CS but you have to be a pest exterminator to buy it. I have a friend who is in pest control and I get him to spray my clothes down it is good stuff and will last 3 months as long as I dont wash my clothes a lot.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

The thermacell work's awsome with blackfly's and mosquito's ,it take's a few minute's after you ignite it to really start working ,but it does work great ,but as other's have said not for tick's .

nubo