Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
3d arrow suggestions.. >

3d arrow suggestions..

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

3d arrow suggestions..

Old 12-10-2002, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3d arrow suggestions..

I agree with most of what the other guys are saying. This stupid archery game is one of those things you have to learn a lot by trying. I can attest to the fact that you can't try everything on the market. Money can get to be an issue unless you've hit the state lotto and need something to kill time.
I don't think you'd gain much by shooting ACE's or X-10's. They are better arrows than the ACC's. That is not something that can be debated, but unless you are of Olymic quality in the shooting department you'll never see the difference.
As far as the spine tolerance on AC arrows, I'm not saying that they are not consistent. I don't have a spine tester to prove anything. What I am saying is that I asked several manufacturers and they couldn't, wouldn't, didn't (?) answer the question. They told me what the spine is for a certain size, not what the tolerance is. Easton state right in their technical bulletins what the spine tolerance is for ACC's. All this being said I just find that in the field the ACC's group the best for me. Read what RangeBall said. He bit the bullet. Well, not really (sorry, Range) because if you go price all the top-o-the-line AC arrows you'll find that they are not much cheaper than ACC's to begin with.
Now let me make a short statement about shaft diameter. A larger shaft can have more drift on a windy day. It can also have more wind drag over a distance so slow down a little quicker (not much though). Another thing to consider is that a shaft that is larger in diamter must have a thinner wall to achieve a certain spine rating. This means is is going to be a little more frail, , meaning it can break easier. The advantage of being a line cutter thus adding a few points is real, depending on your shooting ability, but I'm too old and don't shoot as well as I used to. I've kept track of some of this and found that on most 3D shots when I miss a larger shaft wasn't going to make any difference most of the time. Just some things to consider.
You asked about weight tolerances. If you buy decent shafts I don't think you're going to have much of a problem with this. About 5 grains from shaft to shaft (finished arrows) is pretty hard to decipher on the shooting range unless you're one heck of an archer. Most of the good shafts are holding about 2 gr or less throughout a dozen.
Thing is you can plug into all the websites of the different makers and get the info. Narrow it down from there. Many things to consider.How much you gonna spend? This really determines how high you go in quality. And a lot of guys buy arrows (bows too) that are WAY beyond their ability. Bragging rights, you know!!!!!!!!!