Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cam Timing

Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cam Timing

I am not new to the spoet of archery but still have alot to learn, i read everything i can get my hands on about tuning bows and the subject of cam timing has always puzzled me. How is it done? How do you determine wheather cams are out of time or not? I shoot a Reflex Buckskin with the "Slam & 1/2 cam", they say this cam will not fall out of time is this true? Any light that you guys can shine on this subject would be much apricciated, thanks.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cam Timing

Not true these cams can come out of sync. Take it to a "good" proshop and they should be able to help you out.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got this from Archerytalk. Check it out...

Old 02-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a good one. I can tell you from experience that the cam and a half will shoot fine all wacked out. My brothers bow has been to 2 "pro" shops and you wouldn't believe it could throw any arrow in the same spot twice, but it does.

Cam timing is getting both cams to do the same thing at the same time if not one will be holding the other back. Like crossing the street and pulling someone with you that isn't gowing as fast.I do it by manipulating the strings and cables (need a press).
Old 02-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

the bow will shoot fine and accurate with the cams whacked out. but it will not hold worth a darn and has a tendancy to want to creep. I can tell without looking if the cams are in time, you can feel the sweet spot. I still however check the cam timing and syncronization.

The author of the post that had those illustrations gives some awesome information. He talks about not only syncronization, but also talks about timing, two different issues. The cams may be syncronized like it is shown in the picture, but the rollover times may be off. He gets into detail on how to set the bow up using the hoyt tunes charts. And beleive me, it makes a huge difference................
Old 02-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all your input guys it has been very helpful. If anyone else has anything to add feel free!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:07 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

The two places that have helped me most are the Easton Tuning Guide (which you can download free) and Bob Ragsdale's website. Give them a try.