Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 how many pins to use >

how many pins to use

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how many pins to use

Old 02-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Spike

Default how many pins to use

trying to determine how many pins to use hunting ,1 or multiple
Old 02-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Default RE: how many pins to use

Welcome to the forums!

I use 1 pin, for several reasons. First, with today's newer bows shooting as flat as they do, the pin gap has closed in dramatically. Second, at least for me, I get really confused on what pin to use. Add those 2 together, and I'm all messed up. The pins are so close together it just looks like a big blob to me....Single pin sliders a VERY simple when you get the hang of it.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Host of Hosts

I'm with mobow. I like the single pin sights for the same reasons. I don't like how the three pin sights seem to blend together.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would like to switch to a single pin slider by next year. i shot 5 pins now. my bows not LIGHTNING fast..260ish FPS..and they were too close for me..i think ill be going to one vertical or maybe angular .019 pin. no more glare and blurr(i got bad eyes to begin with) and no clutter or confusion. lock er down at 20 and im good to go for hunting...
Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was shooting a 5 pin sight for most of the season and recently I removed 2 pins and I now love shooting 3 pins. Its much easier to pick a pin now than before. Just like mobowhuntr said, the bows today shoot very flat and there really isn't a need for a sight with more than 3 pins in my opinon.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:04 AM

i use three pins. my bow is also about 260ish. i use a g5 ME sight that has three stationary pins and one moveable pin. my pins are set up for 15,25 35. the last pin i move to what i want, usually 40. but i shoot competive so that distance changes. but three or a good single pin is all that people need these days with how fast bows are today
Old 02-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Spike

I use 4, the easy way to NOT be confused, is to think of the colour (pin) as a distance for example red 15, yellow 30, green 45. So it is a matter of ranging the animal picking a colour, - NO guesswork.

I have used this method for the past 30 years on hundreds of bows and never been confused! Try it.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a permanent stand on private property, to avoid confusion with my 3 pins I will pace off a distance, then tie a small piece of surveyors ribbon of the same color as my pin at that distance.

10yrds green ribbon
20yrds red ribbon
30yrds yellow ribbon

its not hard to see a tiny piece of ribbon, andjudging distance is made easy
Old 02-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep it simple and use 1 pin set at 25 yards.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:47 PM

I like 3 or 4 pins. It seems about perfect. I have three for hunting but would add an additional one for fun. I like to shoot out to 40--it keeps me sharp.

Quick Reply: how many pins to use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.