Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Getting the most speed out of my bow. >

Getting the most speed out of my bow.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Getting the most speed out of my bow.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Getting the most speed out of my bow.

For next season, my goal is to get as much speed as I can out of my arrows. I want to build my confidence by being able to shoot my block from at least 60 yards away.
I was just wondering what some setups I could use are.
Also, about how fast can I expect to shoot out of this bow. I am shooting a Switchback XT set at 70 pounds with a draw length of 29".

I plan on upgrading to a dropzone, I will stay with my blazer vanes and plan on doing wraps as well.

I might as well get this next question out of the way too. What is an affordable range finder? I would like one that isn't one fixed power, unless the prices get too rediculous. Then I guess I could carry my range finder and binos as well.

Thanks.
BS
Old 01-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Default RE: Getting the most speed out of my bow.

Lightest total arrow weight you can get. (I wouldnt go lower than 350). Fewest items on your string that will also allow you to shoot accurately and blazers and dropaway which you already mentioned.

I have a friend that has the same setup and he is shooting a claimed 285...seems a tad high but maybe not. Really it is hard to say without knowing what type of arrows you are going to shoot.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:57 PM

Depending GREATLY on what arrow you are shooting, I would expect speeds in the mid to high 280's.

There are alot of things you can do to maximize the potential in your bow. If you want raw speed, get as close to the 5 grains per pound of pull mark you can get. Then, make sure your bow is perfectly tuned. Shoot w/ as few string add ons as you can, but keep one thing in mind. Sometimes a few things can actually generate speed. For example, I took the string silencers off of my Vectrix and it slowed down 5 fps....So I put them back on. That's just something you'll have to play with. Generally speaking, though, the more stuff you have on your string, especially in the center, the more speed you lose.

Ok, now we've done that. Cut back the serving. Get as much off as you can. You obviously need serving, but not as much as there usually is.

Second, make sure the cams are PERFECTLY timed and where they need to be. I know you shoot a single cam bow, but make sure it's perfect.

If you really wanna get nuts.......Replace the factory cam bearings with needle bearings....expensive, but you'll notice a difference.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

Right now I am thinking about using Gold Tip
Old 01-21-2007, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Buck_Slayer

For next season, my goal is to get as much speed as I can out of my arrows. I want to build my confidence by being able to shoot my block from at least 60 yards away.
I was just wondering what some setups I could use are.
Also, about how fast can I expect to shoot out of this bow. I am shooting a Switchback XT set at 70 pounds with a draw length of 29".

I plan on upgrading to a dropzone, I will stay with my blazer vanes and plan on doing wraps as well.

I might as well get this next question out of the way too. What is an affordable range finder? I would like one that isn't one fixed power, unless the prices get too rediculous. Then I guess I could carry my range finder and binos as well.

Thanks.
BS
Buck Slayer, I also saw in another post you stated that your blazers are set as helical, IMO the helical will slow down your arrows to some degree, I don't know how much. It's just logical that with any offset you increase drag thus a slower arrow, more stable anc accurate, but slower.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stinkin' thinkin'!

If you base your confidence in your equipment, then you are screwed from the get go. Equipment breaks, wears out or becomes obsolete. So you wind up constantly buying new equipment to get your confidence back or to try and keep up with the times. Of course, the archery industry is based on exactly that principle and the bean counters all hope you are that stupid.

With what you've got, assuming you are already shooting carbon arrows, you aren't going to pick up enough speed to even notice it without a chronograph. There are NO changes you can make to the setup that will give you any practical benefit in speed. And what changes you do make to increase speed will probably cause you to lose some forgiveness and consistency and make your bow more noisy to shoot.

The only way to dramatically increase speed is to buy a bow that shoots dramatically faster than the one you've got. Period.

I'll tell you a little secret about building confidence. The only way to truly build confidence is through practice and experience. Improve your SELF and it won't matter what bow you use or how fast it shoots. Learn how to consistently hit that target at 60 yards with what you've got and you can confidently transfer that skill to ANY other bow.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:04 AM

Up grading your stock strings to after market will give a few fps, I also added speed balls on my 3d bow. Gave me 2 extra fps. But, you want to do this safty first. Make sure your arrows w/ bow weight is in the proper spine/deflection. Getting speed to reach out to 60yds isnt as important to getting out to 60 yds accurately. If your shooting at game its the human way to go. I can shoot awesome groups at 50yds. and am at aprox. 278 fps. I would worry more about shooting 60yds accurately. IMO!! Good luck!!!
Old 01-21-2007, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Buck_Slayer

I want to build my confidence by being able to shoot my block from at least 60 yards away.
I'm with Arthur on this one. Speed is not what your looking for. What you have is plenty fast enough, take my word for it. If you are wanting to boost your confidence long range shooting is one way to do it. Then again it may also ruin your confidence depending on how well you shoot.

Speed has nothing to do with hitting a target at longer distances. What you want is consistancy. That means good arrows, a well tuned bow and consistant anchor points and a repeatable release technique. When I used to shoot every day I could hit a 4 inch circle fairly consitantly at 70 meters with a 450 grn arrow moving at 205 fps. And this was not with a target set up. Just a regular old peep sight and movable hunting pin sight. No scopes or fancy 4 foot long stabilizers.

As long as you know the distance and know where to aim it is all up to you pretty much.

As far as a rangfinder with adjustable optics, I don't really know of any. At least not that are remotely affordable. Most don't even have that great of optics anyway. I certainly wouldn't want to be using one as a substitute for binoculars. Leicas have the best optics I have seen as far as rangfinders go. As far as price, figure on between $400 to $1000 dollars for good ones. You can get them for less, just depends on how good of optics you want. I have some older bushnells and they work fine, but they are like looking thru one of those old tiny .22 rimfire scopes that came on the cheap .22's or air rifles. Nothing I would want to be scouting with that is for sure.

I see cabela's has a sale on some leupold 8X binocular/range finders. You might to give those a look. I have never looked through them though.

Your not thinking of hunting at 60 yards are you? I mean it's ok to practice that way to improve your skills, but I would not suggest you go out flinging arrows at deer that far a way. Just my opinion any way.

Paul
Old 01-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

No I would never shoot at a deer from 60 yards away. I would just like those 30 yarders to be a "chip" shot.
I guess if I won't get much flatter trajectory from a lighter arrow I won't worry too much about it then.
I put the strong helical on the arrows I have now, because from what I have read the arrow will stabalize faster and will result in a more consistent arrow which I figured would help me reach that 60 yard goal. I know my equipment would never make more accurate or anything like that, sorry if it came off sounding as if I thought that.
Thanks for the help guys,
I will probaby be shooting gold tips, with the a grim reaper. And of course the blazer vanes.
Does anybody have any suggestions on Inserts, or Nocks? Or just go with the gold tip stuff for that too?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:16 AM

BS,
I would have to guess at arrow speed not knowing the total weight of the arrow. You probably are around the 280fps mark. That is plenty fast if you ask me.
I would not do anything drastic or you may be affecting your forgivness, thus degrading some accuracy. If you shoot a fixed blade broadhead they can get squirrely as you get closer to 300fps.
The blazers are a good choice because they do not degrade down range speed like 4 or 5 inch vanes. Less drag.
You have your bow cranked and are shooting carbons. The only suggestion I would make if any, is to switch to an arrow that is in the 8-9 grains per inch instead of the 10-11 range. Thats if you are not there already. You will still have lots of kinetic energy w/ that set up.
Looking at a Ke chart , with a 450 grain arrow @ 270fps, the Ke generated is 72.86 DFP. Thats a TON, you could knock down an elephant with that. I believe you are there already.

Quick Reply: Getting the most speed out of my bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.