HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting the most speed out of my bow.
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Getting the most speed out of my bow.

ORIGINAL: Buck_Slayer

I want to build my confidence by being able to shoot my block from at least 60 yards away.
I'm with Arthur on this one. Speed is not what your looking for. What you have is plenty fast enough, take my word for it. If you are wanting to boost your confidence long range shooting is one way to do it. Then again it may also ruin your confidence depending on how well you shoot.

Speed has nothing to do with hitting a target at longer distances. What you want is consistancy. That means good arrows, a well tuned bow and consistant anchor points and a repeatable release technique. When I used to shoot every day I could hit a 4 inch circle fairly consitantly at 70 meters with a 450 grn arrow moving at 205 fps. And this was not with a target set up. Just a regular old peep sight and movable hunting pin sight. No scopes or fancy 4 foot long stabilizers.

As long as you know the distance and know where to aim it is all up to you pretty much.

As far as a rangfinder with adjustable optics, I don't really know of any. At least not that are remotely affordable. Most don't even have that great of optics anyway. I certainly wouldn't want to be using one as a substitute for binoculars. Leicas have the best optics I have seen as far as rangfinders go. As far as price, figure on between $400 to $1000 dollars for good ones. You can get them for less, just depends on how good of optics you want. I have some older bushnells and they work fine, but they are like looking thru one of those old tiny .22 rimfire scopes that came on the cheap .22's or air rifles. Nothing I would want to be scouting with that is for sure.

I see cabela's has a sale on some leupold 8X binocular/range finders. You might to give those a look. I have never looked through them though.

Your not thinking of hunting at 60 yards are you? I mean it's ok to practice that way to improve your skills, but I would not suggest you go out flinging arrows at deer that far a way. Just my opinion any way.

Paul