Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 THIS SET-UP CAN'T HUNT >

THIS SET-UP CAN'T HUNT

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

THIS SET-UP CAN'T HUNT

Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 AM

Default THIS SET-UP CAN'T HUNT

I joined an indoor league for the first time in about 5 years. A typical 600 round spot league. When I shot this past week there was a guy there shooting a Mathews Icon w/ 40lb. limbs,2613 X7 arrows and a 4X sure-loc scope. I could run faster than the arrows flew down the lane. You sure can't hunt w/ a rig like that but what's the point???I shoot the same set up I hunt with. Tha't THE point ,isn't it??? Practice,form,concentration.
Is score that important he needed to set up to an extreme?
His score was 585. I shot a 574.
DID HE REALLY SHOOT BETTER THAN ME??
Or am I off base??
I would like someone else's opinion.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: THIS SET-UP CAN'T HUNT

I think what you are asking is: Should he have the same out look as mine? Answer, No. There are reasons that people have different types of set ups other then there hunting ones. He might not be a hunter. He might be a target archer first and also hunt 2nd. Or he might just be very competitive and is looking to try to get the most points he can, because this is not practice for hunting season but a serious game. Some people shoot low Lbs bows in leagues like that because its less wear and tare on there body. I could go on for hours with what ifs. I think you get the point.

“Tha't THE point ,isn't it??? Practice,form,concentration.” So the point is that he is doing something that he likes and he’s not harming or offending you. And yes,he is getting practice, form, concentration. Just not with a hunting bow. This statement is like when traditional guys say that you are not hunting right or fair because you use a compound bow. Sounds stupid!

And yes 585 is better than 574. That’s basic math. Now if you mean ifyou had a set up like that would I beat him? It sounds like you would have a chance. But you have to remember It’s the man that makes the bow and not the bow that makes the man.

So my opinion is: That you should not worry about the other guys. If your there only for practice, form and concentration you should not be concerned with scores. The only thing you should try to beat then is your own personal best. But if the score is some thing that bothers you might just be a paper hunter too. Then change your set up and beat the other guys. It's OK.You might justhave fun.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:24 AM

I was definately thinking in terms of the competition. But the reason I shoot my hunting set up is for the off season practice. And you are right, now that I think about it,I should be more concerned about beating my own personal best. That's really why I'm there. You made me think a little. Thanks for your thought provoking words.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: archer58

I was definately thinking in terms of the competition. But the reason I shoot my hunting set up is for the off season practice. And you are right, now that I think about it,I should be more concerned about beating my own personal best. That's really why I'm there. You made me think a little. Thanks for your thought provoking words.

That's why most of the serious archers that hunt and compete have setups for both.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:13 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: archer58

Well, thats what makes the world go around. He might like competition, you want practice. Nothing wrong with either. And by the way, sure you can hunt with a 40lbs compound. Bet its kicking a 350gr arrow out at 190, maybe 200fps. I shoot a 500gr arrow from my longbow at 185fps and even got a pass thru this year.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Since you are shooting at known distances speed means nothing period! If anything a slower arrow is more forgiving becuase it has more time in flight to correct its self.

40 lbs is easier to draw smoothly and hold than 60 or 70 is. Thus letting you shoot more arrows without getting tired, and since speed is not an issue why beat yourself up flinging arrows indoors?

As far as the big arrows he is using it is called line cutting ability. His arrow is bigger around so what would be a miss for you would not be with him. Since his arrow was bigger around it may have cut the line and yours would not have. My honest opinion is he would be better off shooting an arrow that had better spine than slightly better line cutting ability. I have tried it both ways and I shot better with the correct arrow vrs a larger one.

I would be willing to be he let down a lot as well. You watch any good target archer and they let down quite a bit. If the shot does not feel right they let down and start over again. This is why they don't miss as much. A lower draw weight and smooth cams are nice for this as well. Letting a bow down will wear you out faster than drawing one.

Indoor spot shooting really isn't great practice for hunting, other than practicing your grip, form and aiming technique. It also teaches you to shoot under pressure. 3-D would be a better venue for practicing hunting skills. And I would do it the way you intend to hunt, not shoot for scores. Often the better shot on live game would not be the higher score on a target. I know many great target shooters both indoor and 3-D that really don't do that well hunting. And I know many VERY good hunters that are not very good target shooters.

That does not mean you can't use your hunting set up to shoot indoor targets with. It is all about doing the same thing every time. If you shoot well enough it shouldn't matter. I honestly think 5 spots or 3-D would be better with a hunting rig though.

Paul
Old 01-20-2007, 03:25 PM
dws

In Ohio you can hunt with a minimum of 40 lbs. last time I checked. It is interesting seeing what some people compete with. I've never shot archery in competition but I have shot highpower and rimfire matches. You would be amazed at some of the stuff those guys will use. Including me.[]I know that every little edge adds up but in the end it is still up to the person.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:37 PM

I think in Kansas the mininum draw weight on a bow is 45 lbs. Will 40 lbs kill?Without a dout. You might not get a pass through, but it will darn sure kill with the correct arrow placement and a good sharp broadhead. Speed doesn't kill, accuracydoes.It sounds like this guy's bow is set up for 3 d shoots and not hunting.

Chief
Old 01-21-2007, 08:45 AM

That is most definately not a 3-D set up. At least not a typical one anyway. Indoor spots only from the sounds of it. It might kill a deer, but I doubt it would tune all that well those big arrows and broad heads. I don't think he has any intention of hunting with that set up though.

Paul