Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 An end to tuning? >

An end to tuning?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

An end to tuning?

Old 01-12-2007, 01:55 PM

Default RE: An end to tuning?

The implications of a fully tuned bow off the rack remind me of another advancement that the hunting community has undergone in recent years. Not too long ago, a muzzleloader used to need a flint and powder pan to go off once you pulled the trigger. Shooting 50yrds. was a mile.Now, when you talk about a muzzleloader , you are talking about 200yrd. accuracy and formed pellets in the barrel. And something that you don't need to clean.
I believe that PABowis probably accurate in his assesment of the future.
Someone will try to build this bow,however, many of us attain so much satisfaction by making the final adjustment to get the perfect shot and our own "personal tune" ,I believe that the current compound bows (with improvements) will remain. I think that this is what makes us Bowhunters FIRST and agun hunter a distant second.
Flintlock hunters and traditional bowers are called purists. That may be us someday.

For those of you who may not buy this, I just love to tinker.
I live by the motto " If it ain't broke,I can make it better.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Pabowhntr - A very impressive writeup ! I am not that finicky with my bow . I make a few adjustments to hit on target but don't papertune , etc . If I am hitting where I am aiming , getting penetration , arrows not hitting at an angle , I figure I am "close enough" . I may even take by bow to a shop every 3 years or so to get checked out .
Old 01-12-2007, 07:16 PM

The wealth of information on this site is making me dizzy, but I'm liking it!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:32 AM

As you've said, we're already seeing bow designs that make it much easier to tune the bow properly. The average bow can be set-up and tuned fairly well within 20-30 minutes. Most of this time is spent setting centershot and nock height. To eliminate this, they would have to have unbelievable manufacturing tolerances for the bow and the strings. They would also have to eliminate spine variation on arrows and design a bow that can't be torqued. These things would be difficult to acheive and I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I wonder how they would address a situation where someone wanted to change the tiller or shoot fingers while hunting and mechanical release while target shooting. Things that require different settings for the rest and the nock height will require tuning.

To me, tuning the arrow is the harder part, and I don't see this part being eliminated by the manufacturing process (though they can improve on things like spine tolerance, and other manufacturing tolerances that will speed the arrow tuning process).

It would be a tough sell for a manufacturer to get me to buy such a set-up, but may be that beginners would be attracted to such things. I know that those who are just getting into archery tend to like things like crossbows, draw-locs, and other gizmos that make archery more simple.

Paul, I agree with the statements made by those well-known archers when it comes to target shooting. However, I think tuning is very, very important when dealing with broadhead tipped arrows being shot at animals, where maximum penetration is important, and you're not shooting in controlled conditions. Those guys were primarly target shooters and I believe their statements may have been made in reference to that.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Pabowhntr:

The bow you you are talking about is a challenge. But, it has already been made and if I remember, you were against it. The company has been closed for over a year now and the bow was the accurest. It was torque free. You did not have to tune it with the exception of minor maintenance adjustments and the arrows were the same and designed for the bow and were more accurate than anything produced even today. But it was politics that got in it's way and lack of capital.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:38 PM

How many proshops would be interested in carrying a product that pretty much makes them obsolete.......toa certain degree anyways.

Digital watches didn't go away for no reason
Old 01-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Guys,

I want to apologize for not replying sooner but I have made an effort since my second son was born to not spend much, if any, time over the weekends on the net. I check my email on the phone but don't get to hit my favorite sites much. I read through all of the responses and must say that I agree with the many obstacles that would need to be overcome in order for this type of setup to come to fruition.

I also tend to agree that not everyone would be for it and for obvious reasons. I tend to believe that part of the reason many of you are attracted towards the technical side of archery and archery equipment in particular is because of the tinkering and the individual nature of any given setup. Taking away that individualism might eventually take away from the very enjoyment that many people derive from this activity.

So maybe what would please many folks is just a bow/arrow/broadhead combinationthat is a heck of alot easier to tune instead of "already tuned". I think we are close to that now and would probably be able to attain that very quickly considering the constant advancement in cam design, string materials, etc....

An interesting topic to readdress in the near future.

Thanks again to all that contributed.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:39 AM

Most bowhunters do not post on any message boards. A wild guess would be 95%. It is obvious that the people that do are tinkerers.
Out of those 95%, I would guess that the primary concern of most of themin a hunting situationis to be successful so most of the 3,000,000 licensed bowhunters are going to grab the piece of equipment that will help them to attain that end.

Thank's for the thread. I got a chuckle from it.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thank's for the thread. I got a chuckle from it.
Glad I could offer some humor to liven up your day.

Out of curiousity, did you have something to do with the Accurest? I vaguely remember the posts about it but not my specific reply to it.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 PM

Yes, I had something to do with them. Can't show you any replies because HuntingNet.com deleted most of them.

Here is ONE of the many types of arrows it could shoot. You definitely did not have to tune this 500 grain arrow.

Quick Reply: An end to tuning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.