Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 An end to tuning? >

An end to tuning?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

An end to tuning?

Old 01-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: An end to tuning?

I say they can try, but I don't see it happening. I believe many put waaay too much stock in the tuning issue and not enough in how to shoot well. Besides when you are tuning you are tuning the bow and arrow to the archer. It is a very individual thing, there is no way you design that into a bow.
YUP, that about says it all for the time being. I might add, that some of the Progressions mention were not progressions, they were fixes to design problems like uneven nock travel etc. They weren't done to bring us to a tune free bow. They were done to give us one we could tune.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

YUP, that about says it all for the time being. I might add, that some of the Progressions mention were not progressions, they were fixes to design problems like uneven nock travel etc. They weren't done to bring us to a tune free bow. They were done to give us one we could tune.
David,

Interesting observation. I can see that perspective on the issue but would offer that even bows with uneven nock travel were still tunable though not in the same sense that their predecessors were. I think you could argue that uneven nock travel did result in a tuning issue because without compensating for it there would inevitably be accuracy problems and a difficulty in tuning the bow in the same manner as a dual cam.

Designer,

That picture does look familiar. Out of curiousity were you going to run into any legality issues with certain states and that arrow/broadhead combination design?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:47 AM

PA

There are states that have arrow requirements that the 6" arrow does not meet. Arrow rullings are established to TRY to insure an ethical kill. Most people do not know of this arrow or it's effectiveness which by the way is more lethal than a standard BH tipped arrow.

As far as the bow was concerned, it was made illegal in Iowa until the commisssioners got a hold of one and realized that it had the same primitive speed as all other bows but was MUCH safer to shoot than all other bows simply because the arrows were held captive inside the tubular rest until shot. They immediately changed the law back to allow it.

It had a level nock travel cam and no nocking points at all and the tubular rest eliminated any torque and archer's paradox.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hmm, sounds like it definitely provided some advancements. What was the reason that so many people were against it? Was it the arrow being utilized? Did it function in the manner of the draw lock?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 AM

Dyed in the wool archers were against it because it LOOKED different. It was not a draw lock. Archer had to hold the bow at full draw.

Here are a few pics. One is at full draw, the other is of the tubular rest stored for transport or walking through the woods.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:12 AM

Stored

Old 01-21-2007, 11:17 AM

Is that a whole package or just something to add to any bow??

Old 01-22-2007, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Is that a whole package or just something to add to any bow??
Good question. I assumed it was just an add-on tube attachment.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:05 AM

Gentlemen

It was sold as an entire bow. The riser was designed arount the tubular rest and visa-versa. The different size cams gave it a perfectly straight and level nock point which is best for this type of application.

I also had a different tube that did not shoot arrows. It shot a rectangular 2 piece sabot that was filled with shot and I had made videos of us shooting trap. The speed of the shot was 1/4 to 1/3 the speed of a shotgun and it was difficult, challenging and one heck of a lot of fun. It was definitely something people could enjoy year around especially during the off-seasons. I look at archery as basically a "snowmobile" sport while the ShotBow could have added a "waverunner".