Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Newby question about bow setup >

Newby question about bow setup

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newby question about bow setup

Old 12-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Spike

Default Newby question about bow setup

I'm considering the purchase of a bow (possibly a Mathews) on ebay. Most bows I see are set up in the 60-70 lb range at about 29-30" DL. What would it take to have one of these bows adjusted down to 26", but keep the weight at 65-70lbs? I know it probably varies from bow to bow and I wouldhave to take it to a shop and havethe work done. Idon'thave a pro shop nearby to ask, so I was hoping one of you might have an ideaof what this may costand if it can even be done?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:57 AM

Default RE: Newby question about bow setup

Mathews for the most part are not draw length adjustable and are cam specific. Which means you would have to get a new cam to get the correct draw length you need. Most other bows either have modules in 1 inch or half inch increments, with fine adjustments after that. Other companies actually have fairly adjustable cams over a range of say 4 inches or so.

Mathews does not do this. You need the cam specific to your draw length and they do not always draw at the length they say they will. If you know you have a 29 inch draw length and get one with a 29 inch cam don't be shocked if it actually draws 30 inches or so. That is pretty common actually.

Mathews is a bow I highly suggest getting from a shop and not used off from the net unless you really know what you are doing. I'm not sure what cams cost anymore, I know they used to be around $90 for some models! I can't say what they are now. Campared to a bow with modules that usually cost around 15 bucks a module.

I would also make sure the model you are looking for actually goes down to 26 inches. I would hate to see you get a bow and find out you can't get a cam or modules in that length. I shoot around 26 inches as well and know not all bows go that low. Although they are getting much better now as far as draw length goes. Used to be if you had that short of a draw length you were getting a kids bow or something, now most bows offer a 26 inch draw length option.

In my opinion if you are looking for a used bow look at a Bowtech mighty might, I have one and it's a nice bow for short draw archers. There are others as well.

Paul
Old 12-30-2006, 11:49 AM

I have a 27" draw and I stay away from the bows that dont have modular draw adjustment. Having your draw set perfect can make the difference between loving and hating your bow. Just for an example if i had to pick between a $200 low end bow set dead at 27" or a mathews switchback xt set at 28" i would grab the low end bow and shoot considerably better with it, no doubt. Thats one thing i really like about my martin pantera. I came with every draw length module available. And you can bet i switched modules and string posts more than once fine tuning my draw length.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Spike

Again, I'm sure it probably varies, but would I have to have the modules changed at a shop, or would that be something I could change on my own without the use ofa bow press?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:09 PM

Depends on the cam design. Some bows you can change them yourself, others require a press to do it. If you have a specific bow in mind someone here can probably let you know which it is.

My bowtech does not require a press to change them and they come in 1/2 inch sizes down to 25 inches I believe.

Paul