Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 ??'s on 10 to 20 yd pin gap , some do &some dont >

??'s on 10 to 20 yd pin gap , some do &some dont

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

??'s on 10 to 20 yd pin gap , some do &some dont

Old 12-23-2006, 01:29 AM

Default ??'s on 10 to 20 yd pin gap , some do &some dont

Merry Christmas everyone ,
Hope everyone of you out there is having a good winter
Talking to a friend at work and he asked why I use a pin for my 10 yard and another one for my 20 yard. I told him thats just how my bow set up is. And it is spott on , more than ever before.
So I wanted to ask you all what some different scenareos that would cause this to be. Im thinking heavy arrow setup with med poundagedraw weight . My bow is 2000 Martin Jaguar , loop , nock ( I know, take it off) , cat whiskers, 2216 xx75 aluminum Eastons 28 inches , wraps, 2 inch blazers, 100 grain tips(BH and FP group same) and weight is 63 pounds. I also ese a whisker bisquit .
He shoots a Reflex super slam and carbon arrows, drop away and uses 20 , 30 , 40 yard pins saying 10 to 20 has same pont of contact. Seems like a lot of ways to try to get this result on my bow .But its so dialed in, is it realy worth messing around w/ my bow for this outcome. If anyone wants to share any thoughts, advice please chime in.
Happy holidays all

Old 12-23-2006, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ??'s on 10 to 20 yd pin gap , some do &some dont

my trajectory from 10 to 20 yards is so minimal it is not nessessiary
I use light arrows so my setup is fast so my trajectory is minimal enough that I can use a single pin very accurately to 30 yards the second pin picks up at 30 yards and is good out to 55 from 30 to 55 i can keep them in a pie platewith the second pin third pin is from 55 to70 yards which i cankeep the group in the diamiter ofa pie plate with the third pinwithin those distances

In a long winded way I am trying to say that the weight of your arrows can also have some bearing on how you set your pins for different yardages.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are shooting heavier arrows, but I still can't believe there is any really important need for a 10 yard pin. Shoot at 10 and 15 yards with your 20 yard pin, and you should see that your arrows might hit a little high, but still very close to where you are aiming at those distances.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

I never shot with a 10 yd pin. My first bow was a 1984 45lbs hoyt/easton game getter with 2117 easton xx75s and 145 gr tips. it was slow but shot close enough that i didnt need 10 yd pinto hunt.
But i also know that the 10 yd pin will not hurt you. And if this works for you why change it? You know what they say," If it aint broke then dont fix it".
Old 12-24-2006, 03:08 AM

Thanks guys
Old 12-24-2006, 05:06 AM

Unless you are shooting under 200 fps and want to be very accurate I don't see the point. I have shot bows as slow as 205 fps and really didn't need a 10 yard pin, especially to be accurate enough to hunt. And then if you shoot out of a stand it is even less of problem because when you shoot at a downward angle gravity has less effect on the arrow.

My girlfriends bow shoots in the 180's and I will set a spot for 10 yards on her bow (movable target sight).

If you shoot in the 250-300 fps range you certainly do not need a 10 yard pin, heck you could almost get away with a single pin set for 25 yards or so.

Good luck,
Paul