Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
31" draw question? >

31" draw question?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

31" draw question?

Old 11-22-2002, 11:19 PM

Default 31" draw question?

I am thinking about moving my draw length to 31” from 30”. I shoot the BK II (opp 2), & when I am @ full draw I feel I have to move my face forward, towards the peep while aiming.

I hold the bow as follows: My knuckles are @ a 45 degree angle, my index finger is just resting on the front of the riser pointing towards the ground. None of my fingers wrap around the grip. While holding the bow this way I feel I could still move back an inch, & have a more consistent anchor. Currently I have to push my head forward to get the tip of my nose on the string.

Other issue, I would move to the rear arrow rest hole position with my Bodoodle Pro Lite (allowing me to keep my current arrow length), any issues with string slapping on rest?

Good judgment comes from years of bad judgment.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:12 AM

Default RE: 31" draw question?

From what I've seen around locally, the quickest way to improve your shooting is to decrease your draw length a little. So many guys around here think it's like your measuring their manhood. My Titan came set as a 31" and I shot it like that for a while( while waiting for the new Module) and WOW did I suck. Shrink that to 29.5. Rock solid, shavin' feathers.

Now are you talking about increasing your DL to 31" or decreasing it to 30" ...not quite clear on that?

Trushot }}------>
Old 11-23-2002, 08:46 AM

I am @ 30" currently, & shooting well. I just fell like 31" would allow me to draw the bow & keep my head in more of a natural position, I think I am going to get up on a 12' ladder & shoot down into my target to see if 31"s would would hold me back from having the ability to bend & twist & still shoot.

I am 6'4", 315lbs,& the only manhood measuring that I do is, how much time he spends with his wife & kids.

Were you using a release, & loop? I use a release but no loop.

Good judgment comes from years of bad judgment.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest if you feel cramped up to maybe give it a try. If your accuracy deteriorates then you'll know you probably went the wrong way. In the past I shot some bows that didn't seem like they fit me real well but I shot them good enough that I didn't change anything on them.

JMHO.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:00 AM

I'm of similiar size as you and shoot a Hoyt Ultratech at 31". I've dropped down to 30" but had the same results you described. I can keep a bend at the elbow and have the peep come back to my eye with a more vertical head at 31". I personally don't shoot with a straight arm. I can tell when my string stretches as my arm will not bend and I start to get string slap. Try it and see what happens. One thing to watch is to make sure your arrows are long enough!
Old 11-23-2002, 11:48 AM

Be sure your bow shoulder is DOWN! not rising close to your cheek. If it IS down, TRY 31" if it works better for YOU hooray! If not, you can always go back to 30 (or 30.5)
Personally, I shoot 31.25 down from 33" (before I knew diddly about form :-) )
Old 11-23-2002, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I would give the string loop a try. I don't use one but it's cheaper than buying new modules and may even help with tuning. Another thing you could try is taking the grip off and shooting without it. You may only need 1/4 to 1/2" and this would work. It sounds like there's nothing wrong with how you hold the bow.

Old 11-23-2002, 03:50 PM

Yeah the loop will give you a little taste of the extra length, and it's easier on your string (worth the slight Fps loss IMO). Hey give it a try if you don't you'll always wonder!

Trushot }}------>
Old 11-23-2002, 05:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]