Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Draw Length Question >

Draw Length Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw Length Question

Old 07-31-2003, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Draw Length Question

I have always shot a 30" draw length with a string loop but the guy at the local shop has always insisted that i have a 29" draw. He clamied that my form wasn' t as good as it could be. I recently bought a new Hoyt Dynatec and took his advice and bought the 29" draw and installed a string loop. I' m shooting great groups with it with both field points and broadheads but my concern is this. When i' m at full draw anchored in the corner of my mouth with my bow arm bent slightly the bow has the tendency to creep forward before i' m ready to shoot. It doesn' t happen on every shot but maybe 1 out of 5 times i draw. My last bow was 80% let-off and this one has 75%. My question is do you think my draw length is to short and i need to go back to 30" or should i continue to adjust to this new form? Could the 5% difference in let-off be making the bow creep forward? Thank You!
Old 07-31-2003, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Draw Length Question

No way I can think of for anyone to truly answer that question without seeing you shoot. I haven' t seen your form, so I don' t know whether you need correction or not. But if you didn' t creep before with 30" and you' re creeping now at 29" , it gives me a level of doubt. You may be better off at 30" .

What form flaws was the proshop guy trying to cure by shortening your draw?
Old 07-31-2003, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur P....He said that my head was slightly tilted back, i was holding my bow arm shoulder high and that i didn' t have enough bend in my bow arm at the elbow. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ahhh! The bent bow arm. A little bird told me that was probably what was behind the form thing. One of my pet peeves.

I' ve seen guys that bend their arms into an ' L' and almost rest their elbow on their hip when they shoot. I prefer just a very slight hint of a bend in my bow arm, about the same I have when shooting a longbow. I tell them their form sucks, they say the same about my form. As long as your elbow isn' t locked out at full draw, your string' s not raking hide off the inside of your forearm and your arrows are consistently hitting where you aim them, then whatever is comfortable is the proper amount of bend FOR YOU.

If you were holding your bow arm shoulder high, then it sounds like your form was pretty caved in. Dropping the shoulder low (as it definitely should be) should INCREASE your draw length slightly and let you hold more draw weight and resist creeping. It doesn' t make you any stronger, per se, but good mechanics lets you use your strength to your greatest advantage.

Head tilt... Could have been your peep was too high?

Just going on a semi-educated wild@$$ guess It sounds to me like you' re anchoring too far forward to keep your back muscles involved in the shot. I' d try going back to 30" and just seeing what it does for you.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ArthurP....thanks for the reply. I had already talked myself into going back to a 30" draw and i think i' ll take your advice and do just that. I can shoot this Dynatec really well but it just feels awkward to me and makes it hard to hold true to form which leads me to believe that something just isn' t right. I feel like i' m having to bend my bow arm(elbow) to much to reach a solid anchor causing the bow to creep forward. It just doesn' t feel comfortable to me. I' ve been shooting a bow for a long time and i just don' t think that my form was really that bad because i' ve never had problems until i went to a 29" draw. Again much thanks!