I noticed, the new Stryker Crossbow by Bowtech boasts laminated split limbs. Just..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Will new Bowtech 2007 bows have laminated limbs ? >

Will new Bowtech 2007 bows have laminated limbs ?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Will new Bowtech 2007 bows have laminated limbs ?

Old 11-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Will new Bowtech 2007 bows have laminated limbs ?

Hello toall you Bowtech fanboys.
Thought I would put up a new post to entertain you guys since it's been awhile since I started one here at Bowtechbbs.com
I noticed, the new Stryker Crossbow by Bowtech boasts laminated split limbs.
Just wondering if the new Guardian and Commander will have them too since theyare alsoa split limb design
While I think the compound bows are ratherugly, I love the Stryker and would like to own one !
It's the coolest lookingCrossbow I have ever seen and it's right in my price range.

Sag.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Will new Bowtech 2007 bows have laminated limbs ?

wow you can tell AT. is down there lost !
Old 11-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not lost, PaJay; been a member here since 99'.
You guys must think Ol' Sag is here to stir the pot with only 1 reply in 68 views.
Well, I do like to stir itbut was serious with the laminated question since my cousin is a Bowtech shooterbut prefers laminated limbs.
In the pics of the new bows, the limbs don't look laminated but that could be because of the camo paint.
Can't tell the Stryker has laminated limbs either from the pics.
If the Stryker has laminated limbs, why not the compounds ?
How about it, Pat ?
I know, you're lurking out there somewhere.

Sag.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:04 PM

have'nt seen one yet . but i was doing some research looking @ cross bows on other sites & the one with the same price range was 100 fps slower. thats just wild ! limbs well the rep said they were being made somewere different then the past and you will not see anymore problems. only time will tell.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had no idea bowtech had split limb bows
Old 11-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good question Sag. I did not know of either but would like to know as well. I know you said this was for your buddy but how do you feel about laminated versus non-laminated limbs?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Hello, Frank.
Long time no talk, old friend.
I do prefer laminated limbs as it's been proven that any laminated material whetherit islumber, glass, or metals is normallysuperior in strength to a solid material.
Bullet proof glass is always made of laminations.
In stress tests laminated lumber has proven to be three to four times stronger than solid.
Solid limbs, I remember reading in the past, are rated at 130,000 to 150,000 psi where laminated limbs are rated 190,000 to well over 200.000 psi.
So, it just makes sense that a laminated limb issuperior.
I do have an old PSE Mach 8 with solid compressin molded limbs that's still going strong since 98' and know of old bows with solid limbs that are much older that are still going strong too.
So, in reality, how could laminated limbs be that much superior ?
I still feel, shooting too light of an arrow is the major reason fordamaged limbs whether laminated or solid.
Even a 5 gr per lb arrow weight that's beenIBO legal for many yearsis too light for my liking.
Remember when 5 grs per lb IBO wasn't legal and manufactures would notwarranty limbsat thatgrain weight?
When a couple manufacturersfinally did warranty 5 grs per lb, it forced all other manufactures to follow suit in order to keep selling bows.
I can tell you that most bow companies never wanted to warranty bows below 6 grs per lb and still wouldn't to this day if given a choice.
I shoot 6 to 8 grs per lb on all my bows since I first started shooting and have never had a single limb failure in the last 15 years.
Knock on my wooden head.
I'm well aware of Bowtech's bad rap for limb failure on the other site and even teased others about it from time to time.
But Bowtech has always been known as the bow to get for speed and their designshas always beenmore aggresive than most others.
If I shot Bowtech, I would shoot 7 to 8 grs per lb, which would still be plenty fast and I bet, I would virtually never have a limb failure.
Like others, I don't believe there is actually that many limb failures as some are bogus claimsandmade up by pot stirrers like myself.
I do love my Barnsdale limbs on my Bowman bows but am not blind to the fact that they sometimes fail too.
Been a few posts pointing that out lately.
In fact, it looks like Dave Barnsdale gets his limb materials from Gordon just like everyone elsesave Merlin.
He now has a link to Gordon composites at his website so it's doesn't take a genius to figure out why !
But, just because you get them from Gordon doesn't mean they're inferior or superior to the limbs of other manufacturers.
The limbmaterials chosen, Bowtuff, Powertuff etc, number of laminations, glues, grinding, finish, and how you use them to manufacture your own limbsall determine how good your product is in the end.
Stewart Bowman, like a lot of manufacturers,has Dave Barnsdalebuild his limbs to his own specifications.
Stewart has Dave build the butt of his limbs much thicker than most any other because he feels, a thicker limb butt is superior and less prone to failure vs limbs with thinner butts.
The fact that Stewart has replaced only one limb in the last 15 years proves his point imo.
One area where solid limbs have it all over laminates is heat.
Solid limbs can survive heat where a laminated limb will come apart when the glues used to hold the laminates together soften.
Though too much heat will wrap a solid limb ruining it as well.
Middleton Crossbow has a new interesting solid limb that they guarantee can take extreme heat without failure.
They claim, their limbs are not even affected by the extreme heat of an enclosed automobile !
Would be interesting to know the construction of their limbs.
Well, that's about allmy feeble mindcan remember about limb construction.
Sorry for the ramble.
Good talking with you again, Frank.
We'll have to do it more often like the good ol' days.

Sag.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Though I don't have an answer to this question, I would be willing to bet they are not laminated.

I too, would like to see them go to a laminate limb. I agree, they are better. Hoyt has long been known in the industry to have excellent limbs and very low failure rates. Not sure what Matthews uses.

This was one of the reasons why the Elite bows appealed to me when I first saw them.

But, then again, I have an 05 Allegiance, the ones that everyone says will blow up and haven't had a single issue with the bow. Sag, I tend to agree with you and also do the same. I shoot an arrow in the 6 - 7 gr. per inch.

But, I'd really like to know the answer to this myself.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure on the bowtech limbs , hoyts are , and Im not sure with pearson , the pse you mention I believe uses their own limbs , not gordon glass like mathews and bowtech use , pse's design is diferant allso being quiet a bit wider than most other manufactures .
Old 11-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sagittarius

I'm not lost, PaJay; been a member here since 99'.
You guys must think Ol' Sag is here to stir the pot with only 1 reply in 68 views.
Well, I do like to stir itbut was serious with the laminated question since my cousin is a Bowtech shooterbut prefers laminated limbs.
In the pics of the new bows, the limbs don't look laminated but that could be because of the camo paint.
Can't tell the Stryker has laminated limbs either from the pics.
If the Stryker has laminated limbs, why not the compounds ?
How about it, Pat ?
I know, you're lurking out there somewhere.

Sag.
Sag,

I'm still here when I get time to be...

Where did you read the Stryker had laminated limbs?

If you go to theStryker web site http://strykerxbow.com/and click on the product tab, then click on the red dot on the limb (or the Whisper tech Silence tab)it says they have "highly efficient wrapped split limbs for added durability, long life and a significantly quieter shot than other crossbows on the market".

Nothin' about laminated limbs...

Quick Reply: Will new Bowtech 2007 bows have laminated limbs ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.