Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow flight

Old 11-15-2002, 04:33 PM

Default arrow flight

This may seem like a simple question, but... I have a serious fishtailing problem with my feildpoints and a severe spiraling affect with my broadheads. Any advice on how to get my bow to shoot like its throwing darts. I have had it for a couple of years and have never had it "fine tuned" The guy who sold it to me said to shoot it a couple hundred times and bring it back so he could "fine tune" it. Never got the chance to go back. Very busy in school, way away from the original salesman. Please help!!!!!!

357bubba

Tom Wright
Old 11-15-2002, 08:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-17-2002, 01:52 AM

Default RE: arrow flight

Tom, you came to the right place. This is the best pro shop in town!

First off we will need alot of information. Everything about your bow and equipment and setup. We need to know what arrow rest you are using, arrow length and size, field point and broadhead weight, etc.

Give us all that information and we can get started on helping you.
Well, actually we will get started right now.

Tuning isn't all that hard. The hardest thing of all is your nocking point but the proshop guy probably got it right when he put it on.

With the side to side fish tailing, if you are using a two prong type of arrow rest, it is easy to correct.
First, eyeball it to see if the rest is obviously too far to the side. Nock and arrow and look at it. If it is obviously too far to the side, then you know you need to move your rest in the opposite direction untill it is aligned and the fishtailing goes away. Make small adjustments until you got it right.

Now, if there is any fishtailing, move your arrow rest up or down to correct it. I just re read your origional message and you said a salesman sold it to you. Well, hopefully he put the nock on right so you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise if you move the rest up and down and the porpoising (if there is any) doesn't go away no matter what, then you might have to try adjusting your nock up or down until it goes away.

After you got the field point flying like bullets, try broadheads.
I just tried my broaheads and they kept shooting left quite a bit.
Broadheads are very sensative to minor tunning problems. Slight adjustments with your rest that don't affect field point accuracy can affect broadheads.
Luckily I had a NAP Quicktune 3000 micro adjust arrow rest so adjustments are easy.

Make sure it's not fletching clearence. That could be part of the problem.

Get back to us with your setup and we can help.

Nic
Old 11-17-2002, 10:15 AM

Guys I appreciate the help. I have a Hoyt Magnatech with the xt2000 limbs, redline cam. Im shoting PSE carbon force Dominator 300 arrows with 100 grain tips. The arrows that came with the bow were Beaman(sorry about spelling) ICS Hunter 400. There was significantly less arrow flight irregularitywith those arrows. But dont ask why I just didnt buy more of those,just unexperienced. I think my draw length is 28, so I guess that is what length the arrows are. I have a two prong arrror rest but im not sure what kind it is. This year I put some felt on the rest prongs because i had worn through the rubber and the arrow was very noisy sliding accross the metal. After a few shots, the felt on the right side was worn through. It wears through every few shots, but the left side has not worn through yet and I have replaced the right side about 8-10 times.

Precite the help!!!

357Bubba

Tom Wright
Old 11-17-2002, 10:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-19-2002, 04:09 PM

Thanks for all the insight fellas. I will probably just take it to a pro-shop and let them do it. I will remove the felt and check the fishtailing, but then how do you keep from having the metal on carbon scraping noise when drawing?

Tom Wright
Old 11-19-2002, 05:09 PM

Tom,
Nothing wrong with the felt, you just have to adjust for it. That is why Siskyou said to move your rest down about 1/32". I would second the advice about downloading the easton tuning guide, very helpful.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:25 AM

Oh ok. I was pretty impressed with the quietness that the felt gave me. Ill put some back on and check out the tuning demo from easton.
Thanks alot guys.

Tom Wright
Old 11-21-2002, 06:13 AM

Tom,
Just my preference, but I prefer to use shrink tube on my prong rest. It is much quiter than the bare metal and lasts a long time. Easy to install as well.