Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 29" draw shooting 31" arrows?? >

29" draw shooting 31" arrows??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

29" draw shooting 31" arrows??

Old 10-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default 29" draw shooting 31" arrows??

I normally shoot 29" arrows, but WalMart is having a clearance on all of their arrows. My local store has a bunch of 31" arrows and I'm wondering if the extra 2" would make that much of a difference?

The $5 per arrow for Carbon Express Hunter Lite's is very tempting, even though they are longer than they need to be for me. I don't have anything to cut them with and I don't want to bother with it. I'm just wondering if it really matters that I'll be shooting arrows that are 2" longer than they need to be?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:34 AM

Default RE: 29" draw shooting 31" arrows??

They won't have the same point of impact. But if you want to 'mess with' too different sets of arrows there's no reason they won't work as long as they're stiff enough spined. (Something that usually isn't a problem with our newer center-rest, mechanical released compounds)
Old 10-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

2" difference in length can make a huge impact on spine. Therefore they may shoot differently. I would suggest that if you buy these arrows in the same spine you are now using that you take them to a shop that can cut them down for you. It should only add a couple dollars to the price, but they'll be more compatable to your bow setup.

If you don't want to cut them to the proper length then I would go to a stiffer spined arrow. For example, if you're now shooting a 400 spine then I'd choose a 340 spine. Of course this will necessitate retuning your bow for the new ones. Not only will they be stiffer, but also heavier, meaning a different point of impact.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take them to an archery shop and have them cut down to 29".
Old 11-01-2006, 12:50 PM

I shoot arrows about 2 inches longer and it doesn't make much of a difference. If you're just gonna shoot those arrows then justtune your bow for those ones. I don't think that there's anything wrong with long arrows as long as all of them are the same length. If you're gonna have different lengths then have them cut at the pro shop.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

i agree take them to a archey shop and get them cut to be 29 inches
I also like to shoot the Carbon Express i use the terminator hunter 4560,
29 inches i wait untill after hunting season because at my wal-mart they are marked down to $3 thats when i buy all of them they have