Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 DRYFIRED MY BRAND NEW SUPER SLAM >

DRYFIRED MY BRAND NEW SUPER SLAM

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

DRYFIRED MY BRAND NEW SUPER SLAM

Old 10-30-2006, 04:59 AM

Default RE: DRYFIRED MY BRAND NEW SUPER SLAM

ORIGINAL: matt068

No worries most guys shooting these tiny arrows dry fire theirs every time they shoot.
Which is why so many people have limb problems with their bows these days. Hunters have gotten so fixated on how fast they can make their arrow go, they forgot that the object is to hit what they're aiming at.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: matt068

No worries most guys shooting these tiny arrows dry fire theirs every time they shoot.
I shoot a 270 grain arrow and pull 70#
Not even knowing what you shoot I am willing to bet my bow that mine is quieter than yours!

and NO it does not have a lot of dampening rubber on it

a heavy weak spined arrow will do the same dammage as a light weak spined arrow will.
if you want to debate this subject I have years of study and research on this very subject but then you can archive some old posts here and over at archery talk.

and straightarrow the reasonwe go to such great lengths is to be more accurate

I cant convince anyone over the internet but in person 3 arrows from 25 50 and 75 yardswill

however I will tell you that it is not in the best intrest of your particular brand of equipment to shoot such light arrows but the equipmentI useis Designed,warranted and built to withstand lighter than 5 GN per pound arrows.
but that is another topic so I will stop here
Old 10-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

Dryfired my brand new (not even1 arrow out of it)bow 5 years ago, showing my friend howlong I could hold my bow at full draw with my index finger (genius).

I ended up bending the axles.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kenman

Dryfired my brand new (not even1 arrow out of it)bow 5 years ago, showing my friend howlong I could hold my bow at full draw with my index finger (genius).

I ended up bending the axles.
This is what i was going to mention. Take it and have a tech look at it. I dry fired mine while trying a new release that was improperly calibrated.(never hit the trigger, it released on it's own)It bent both axles. I would not have known it if i did not take it to a tech and told them i dry fired the bow.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reflex..you mite have killed it!!!Or at least wounded it.....tsk tsk
Old 10-30-2006, 06:28 PM

i shot my hoyt deviator (carbonite limbs) on my college's archery team last year. we were outside practicing at 90m one day and when i touched the shot off it *sounded* like a dry fire. it scared the daylights out of me.

went over to the spotting scope and it was a 9 though. i still have no explanation for what happened, but i took it to lancaster archery immediately and they checked it out and ok'd it.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

Not trying to make anyone mad but why are so many people pulling back there bows with out arrows? And even worst with a finger by the triger?

Old 10-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey Mike
can you say DEE DEE DEE
Old 10-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

This does not address strings slipping off the cams or any othere possibilities. A tip from my Pro shop . . .NEVER DRAW YOUR BOW WITHOUT AN ARROW ON THE STRING !!!!

Old 11-01-2006, 12:58 PM

Yeah, a friend dry fired an old PSE Nova thatI had. It was fine and if that could survive it I'm sure that yours can. The only things you have to check are the string and limbs. If nothing's bent or broken then you have nothing to worry about. My peepsight broke, but that was it. Check your point of impact also. Hope that helps.