Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why? >

What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

Old 10-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

Thanks a bunch guys! Also big thanks goes out to BigJ12 for the bow review site ... I'm learning a bunch there for sure.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

I think what you will find also is there are two particular typesof attitudein Compound Bowhunters. You have your Smooth drawing, Super stealth whisper quiet,forgiving type of Bowshooters...Then on the other side you have your Raw power speed junkies (Speed Bows) Types

Your going to find that most of the top Compound bow manufacturers all make great bows. One thing they all have in common is the variety of choices you have...Short ATA? Long ATA? Forgiving? Fast, but not so smooth? Smooth, but not so fast?

I like power and Speed! Give me those two things at the same time, And I am going to love it!

I shoot a 2003 Ultra 2 Mathews (speed bow) What caught my eye back then was the 320 IBO speed, along with the fact that it just felt good in my hands.

IMO, its more important that you choose your style first, then pick your bow.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:29 AM

I shoot the Browning Rage One and simply love it. As has been said, it's bulletproof, very accurate, and a great value.I highly recommend Browning or PSE, but just go to the the pro shop and decide which bow suits you best. There are many good bows on the market so pick it based on your shooting style, what kind of game you hunt, etc. The shop guys can give sound advice, but don't buy into every new gadget just because it's cool. Stick to the simple equipment. Hope that helps
Old 10-27-2006, 02:00 PM

Hunting - Bowtech Justice - short for shooting from blinds - smooth shooting, fast enough.

Target - Mathews Icon - smooth, light, long enough ATA to be stable not too much reflex

Flinging arrows just to see them fly - an old recurve from about 1970 - don't know who made it, but I got it for $25 in 1973.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Mathews MQ1 Its a little out of date campared to the new ones but it still drives tacks. Bought this new because i wanted a 37-38 ata, with 7 1/2 brace, that shoots well and reliebale. At 308 ibo its not the fastest but i have yet to see a deer out run my arrow .
I have looked this year to upgrade but have not found what i want yet. liked the hoyt trygon except the draw cycle a little hard for me, mathews xt liked shooting it but dont like the string supressors drilled into the end of the limbs- afraid this could be a week point that could break with the amount of arrow i shoot a week x the number of years i would keep. Bow tech did not like the feel in hand(but nice bow).
So im waiting to see what comes out this year. Intrested in the new hoyt from what i heard the draw is a lot smoother. we'll see.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

PSE Firestorm. Why? Because I love PSE and have never ever had problems with a PSE. GREAT brand.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

I use a Hoyt Magnatech. My son in law and I were shooting in a bow league and this guy let me shoot his and I liked it.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I buy Bowtech because I an afford any bow on the market.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

i use a 2004 PSE Triton: Its has a NRG cam the draw length is 29 inches and has a peak weight of 70 pounds it will shoot about 300 feet a second when it is set at 70 pounds. the reason why i like this bow is because it is very light and compact and never fails when i am shooting when it is really cranked up the arrows will really fly at blistering speeds. but for you you need to go to a place where they specialize in bows and they will fit you with a bow thet will be perfect for you
Old 11-01-2006, 10:58 PM

I have an '06 Diamond Victory by Bowtech. A smooth, fast, and forgiving bow. I shot a Browning for many years. The Victory fits me perfectly and performs excellent in the field. I have absolutely no problems with this bow and I know a lot ofother Diamond owners feel the same way. Plus they have great customer service.