Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why? >

What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

Old 10-19-2006, 10:09 PM

Default RE: What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

i just bought a new 06 parker frontier bow, ive shot alot of bows before i bought the parker, but im glad that i got it, if i was u man, i would just go out to my local bow shops that have a indoor range and shot some different bows, and select the one that best fits u
Old 10-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been experimenting for the last several years, but mainly with used bows and only a couple of new ones (McPherson Edge and Newberry B1), but I have had multiple Hoyts, Mathews, and Bowtechs. I have settled on the Darton CPS cam system as my favorite. Easiest to tune and remain exactly as is for many months. Very forgiving of form flaws. Good valley that I find nice for a hunting bow with a nice smooth draw and good performance. I probably shot better with my Darton Tundra than any bow I've had, but the 2 Champions I have now are very nice to shoot, and are quieter with less vibration than the Tundra. These Champion bows draw very easily whether hunting of 3D, shoot quietly with little shock, and shoot more accurately than I can. There are many bows out there that are great bows, you just have to try them to see what feels and works best for you.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Joe
it is only fitting that you like the CPS system since the cam and 1/2 design was primairly their design to begin with and the design all of these hybridcams originated, some hybrids area little harderthan others for the speed but basically the same design with a variance in the geometric configuration to make it look like a different design but all in all the same cam and 1/2 design.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

BPS, I'll agree they are similar, but there are some differences. With the Hoyt system that Newberry also uses, the top "cam" has an oblong lobe that makes it necessary to have the cams synched very closely to get a firm wall and decent nock travel (I'm told), where the CPS has all of the "important" stuff on the bottom power cam. The Darton and Champions have an extended lobe for a firm wall, while the Pearsons do not, though the Pearsons do have a slot for adding a limb stop. My "calcific rotator tendonitis" gets along much better with the earlier peak of the Darton system than the later peak of the Hoyt system. The Hoyt can also be tough on power cable serving, while none of my CPS cams have given me a bit of trouble. They both are good, and the Hoyt system may be a little faster. I know the B1 is just about the fastest bow I've owned, aside from the Patriot Dually and the Oregon Black Knight.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot an Old Glry by Bowtech. The first thing I have to look for in a bow is draw length, as mine is 32" and there isn't a whole lot of choice. I decided on the bowtech after shooting the Switchback, Trykon, and Old Glory side by side. I just liked the feel of the Bowtech on the draw cycle and on the shot.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

I have been experimenting for the last several years, but mainly with used bows and only a couple of new ones (McPherson Edge and Newberry B1), but I have had multiple Hoyts, Mathews, and Bowtechs. I have settled on the Darton CPS cam system as my favorite. Easiest to tune and remain exactly as is for many months. Very forgiving of form flaws. Good valley that I find nice for a hunting bow with a nice smooth draw and good performance. I probably shot better with my Darton Tundra than any bow I've had, but the 2 Champions I have now are very nice to shoot, and are quieter with less vibration than the Tundra. These Champion bows draw very easily whether hunting of 3D, shoot quietly with little shock, and shoot more accurately than I can. There are many bows out there that are great bows, you just have to try them to see what feels and works best for you.

I agree on the Champion bows...I shoot the Saber and its relatively fast and very quiet...I haven't had mine Chrono'd but I am guessing I am shooting 280fps....anybody know if they have a website or if they are even made anymore??
Old 10-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

petrey10, they are not made anymore. They were put out of business by a law suit filed by a fellow Canadian who had a patent on single cam modules. Apparently, Champion had been using the modules without paying royalties. They gave up the business rather than pay the guy, I guess. 2005 was their last year, I believe. I have a 2005 Scorpion that I got for under $200 on ebay. It shoots as well as any bow I have owned.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

yeah I got mine with 6 arrows, hard case, quik tune rest and sight...for 180 shipped
Old 10-21-2006, 07:44 PM

Hoyt Ultratec - Smooth draw Cam and 1/2 system. Tec riser reduces lateral torque. Thin grip so the bow finds its spot in you hand. The most accurate and forgiving bow without compromising speed that I've shot in 25 years.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:36 AM

I currently shoot an '06 Illusion ! Not to say I didnt get a shooter deal om it !! But its an excellent bow. i'm not going to preach buy this or that. For this fact though you dont have to spend 700.00 to a 1000.00 to get a good hunting bow !!!! Its mostly based on what you are willing to spend for a bow your going to hunt with. Personally, I wouldnt spend that kind of money for a hunting bow !!! If I wouldnt have gotten this bow for free. I would be spending no more that $400.00 on a new bow. With the stiff competition of bow manufacturers its hard to get a bad hunting bow !!! Now if your into 3d or target and want a more versitile bow. Your going to spend a few more bucks. Not every bow is going to feel the same for everyone. So !! Shoot them all. Its what I do. That way I buy what I like.

Quick Reply: What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.