Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why? >

What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

Old 10-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

I shoot the Trykon because I love how the bow shoots for me. I tried the Bowtec's and the switchback but for ME the Trykon felt the best. I shoot this bow better then any bow I have ever shot. I like the looks of the new Hoyt's but before I would go buy anything I would wait and shoot ALL the different bows. Besides that with all the time I spent shooting bows before I decided on the Trykon I don't think it is something that I would do every year. I have this setup just the way I want it and I am going to use it for several years to come.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting a Mathews Outback and really like it. It is smooth and does what I need it to do. The Bowtech's are looking better and better every day to me, though.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Ok Guys, thanks a lot!So it looks like you all are shooting PSE, Hoyt, Mathews, Martin, Browning, and Bowtech. Wow, what a variety of manufacturers we have today ... I can spend more than a 1-2 hundred dollars for the bow, but not a more than$1k for the whole initial setup.I'm also not against buying used if it's what I need and in good to excellent condition.One more question though - this whole single vs. double cam thing is confusing me.I thought that all compound bows were double cam?I mean they have both top and bottom wheels, right?What am I missing here?

Also, I know you all are busy so if there are some tutorials or books/magazines I need to buy then point me to them and I'll dig in reading, etc ...

Monie
Thanks for the info my man - that's a great recommendation to just go to the local bow shop and test out the bows they have there. I have no idea where it is so that's a good next step for me (once I get back from hunting season that is ... ).

Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Monie
Thanks for the info my man -
Um, that should read "Monie, thanks for the info my lady friend"..lol
Old 10-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot my 6 year old PSE Best because it's paid for, adn it's still shooting just fine. The deer don't seem to notice that it's not new or fancy.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Newberry B1 is there any thing else?

Basically because I know how they are built and how well designed they are and the all around feel and user friendly features.

End Of Story!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot Bowman and Merlin bows because of their craftsmanship, components, and great looks.

Sag.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: philnie

One more question though - this whole single vs. double cam thing is confusing me.I thought that all compound bows were double cam?I mean they have both top and bottom wheels, right?What am I missing here?
WellI'll try to be as short as possible about the different cams styles so it boils down to this. In compound bows you have four different types of cams. First is the dual cam bow,it has cams or wheels at the top and bottom the cams being more aggresive,but they are still the same thing and that is both cams/wheels provide a power curve and draw stop.

Next is the single cam bow, it has the cam at the bottom that provides the power curve and draw stop and only a round wheel at the top that just acts like an idler wheel keeping the string moving as the bottom cam does the work.

Next up is the hybrid or 1.5 cam, this is like a single cam bow andhas the power curve at the bottom as well but the top cam is not round but takes the same shape as the lower cam. While it does not have a power curve it does have a draw stop. This is supposed to give you all of the good designs of a dual cam (fast and level nock travel) without the need to time the cams so they "roll over" at the same time.

last is the newest of cam designs and that is the binary cams. They are like a dual cam in that both the top and bottom cams have a power curve and draw stop however instead of the dual cam that have thecables attach to the oppositelimbs the binary cables attach to the opposite cams thus linking them together to create more "synchronized cams" that also have a fast and level nock travel without the need to time then either.

Now mind you I have never worked with the binary cams so I can't speek for them but the hybrid cams still need to be timed.I have found however, they are far more forgiving if not...unlike the dual cam bows.

The single cam bows are IMO the simplest of designs and are pretty much fool proof with only string creep (stretch) to worry about. The jury is still out on the hybrid cams as I have not had it long enough to truely form an opinion.

I'm not an expert and there is more to them than I listed but that is the basic low down on cams.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you BigJ12 ... all this info is starting to sink in I think!I think single cam is the one I should focus on as I don't need to be dealing with reliability/service issues as I'm working on getting back into shooting a compound bow, etc ...

Next question though - is there a web site that does (compound) bow reviews?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Site Bouncer

This web site will give you alot of information about compound bows in general and also get into more detail about different style cams and what might be best for you. Take your time and look through all of the different sections like the Products section and the Articles& Help section.

Good luck in your search and as long as you choose a bow fromone of the many major manufacturersout there I don't think you can go wrong.

Here is a link:http://www.huntersfriend.com/index.htm

Quick Reply: What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.