Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Are there tricks to tuning a single cam bow? >

Are there tricks to tuning a single cam bow?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Are there tricks to tuning a single cam bow?

Old 10-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Are there tricks to tuning a single cam bow?

I can't for the life of me seem to paper tune my new bow! I've been shooting and hunting for the better part of 20 years! I have never had a problem with my Bear Whitetail!

I'm still able to shoot good groups at 20 yds (4"), but I can see the arrow is spiraling out of the bow! I'm shooting Martin Mag Catset at 59#, a 27.5"arrow, 2216. I know it's a little overspined, but don't think that should matter too much! The tiller is dead on, and the arrow is square and level to the string! I've tried moving the rest in and out little by little, but nothing seems to correct the problem! Anybody have any tips or coments I would greatly appreciate them!

I'm 99% sure I'm not hitting anything! The cables were close, so I moved them out just a touch to make sure! I've shot about 160 arrows since I bought the bow! I've been trying to tune it since about 70! Ive tried a bunch of stuff!I'm just baffled!! I'm on the verge, of bringinga bow in, for the first time, since 91! I'm pretty sure it's not my form as I can still shoot a 3" group at 35yds with my Bear!

Quick tune 1000

~Vikes
Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 AM

Default RE: Are there tricks to tuning a single cam bow?

Well I am glad to hear i am not the only one! I too have been in Archery over 20 years and i am by no means no expert but I bought a Martin Razor last year and it sits in the garage! I still us my 1990's Mathews! I bought 3 different rest, refletched arrows ECT. I did get it cenetered up and down but i could not get rid of the 2 in high tear in the paper. I tried for days to no avail .. I thought about sending it back and have not yet, but it sounds like a common problem with MARTIN bows then. But everyone is going to tell you its a clearance problem and they may be right? Check everything! It may very well be hitting your cables or rest!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

edit
Old 10-10-2006, 11:46 AM

My single cam Hoyt has the same problem. The nock high tear in the paper won't go away even with the arrow nocked 1/4" low, no matter what rest is on it. I put on a drop away, set it to center shot, broadhead tuned it and it shoots tight groups out to 40 yds. so I just left it that way. If your shafts are spiralling you've got more than just a nock high tear problem. You've got both up/down and rt./lft. issues. Check clearance first, then center shot, then bow torque. Most single cams like an arrow a touch above level or a bit of tiller adjustment.

When I went to the BowTech Binary Cams I set the bow at center shot and puched bullet holes through the paper with perfect tight broadhead groups out to 50 yards without tweaking anything. My single cam is now a back-up bow.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of rest are you useing ?
Single cams and most others like a slightly high[1/8-1/4inch]nockpoint
esecialy if you are useing a fallaway rest

Being slightly overspined should not be a problem
Old 10-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

edit

Old 10-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vikesfan353

The tiller is dead on, and the arrow is square and level to the string!

~Vikes
This is part, if not all, of the problem. Because the cam is larger than the idler wheel, single cams need to be, depending on the size of your idler wheel, around 1/4" nock high to compensate for the difference.

I've noticed that if I do not have good form when shooting I get an arrow that spirals. I'mgetting sloppy and pushing it into my face enough to throw it off.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you to those who replied. I moved my knock up 3 times (heavy 1/4" all together)before the spiral came out of the arrow.I took a little bit, but groups were getting tighter and tighter!! Now I can just worry about practice!!!
TY
~Vikes