Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 A quick bow setup how-to... >

A quick bow setup how-to...

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A quick bow setup how-to...

Old 01-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A quick bow setup how-to...

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I thought the 3rd axis adjustment was more for user-induced torque, though now you're REALLY getting out of my area of expertise...

NOPE, It is because risers are not parralel with the powerstroke.There is even a product on the market now to set the fourth axis because most will set the 3rd axis up to the sight bar(put level on sight bar), but when they bolt it to the bow,it is not square with the arrow(power stroke if centershot is correct)

Therfore,the need for the fourth axis.It bolts on to the riser and the sight bolts to it,the sight stays square with the sight bar,then you adjust the whole sight torun parralel and squarewith the arrow or powerstroke,or centershot,however you want to say it.[8D]

I saw about a 20 page deliberation(argument) on this subject alone on Archertalk a while back.MOST just couldn't understand this.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I say I'll just count my blessings I shoot a Bowtech then... [8D]
Old 01-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, I get what you're saying. However, I guess what I meant to say was getting an arrow perfectly spined for the bow. Example, Gold Tip. 5575 at 28", 100gr tip on a 60-70 lb bow is what the chart calls for. But the chart spans a pretty significant draw weight and arrow length range for a given spine. But, isn't there a perfect draw weight were that spine will perform the best?I by no means will attempt to compensate for an under or overspined shaft. I don't have enough hair to do that.

I apoligize to Greg/MO and others, I hope I'm not straying off topic. Keep the post going fellas.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Spine is always on topic.[:-]

The best thing to do is to get an archery program.

www.archersadvantage.com This is the one I use.It uses ALL the info to figure spine.It works on almost every bow on the market today and the past several years.

I have in the past found that some older bows,the nock travel was horrible and to get the nock height to be level,I had to jump 3-4 spine ranges for the bow to tune properly.

You can sometimes adjust for bad nock travel with arrow spine.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

www.archersadvantage.com/AdPages/AAShaftSelector.htm This should give you some kind of idea of what it can do for you.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: TFOX
Plus,the arrow tuning is phenominal.[8D]
This is something everyone should pay a lot of attention to. Tuning a bow properly is fairly easy and can be accomplished by the average shop with no trouble. However, tuning an arrow properly (including configuring it), is somewhat complex and in my opinion, many times more important than a perfect bow tune (especially when involving a broahead tipped arrow). The odd thing is, very few shops actually offer arrow tuning that is truely excellent.

There are 30 bow shops within 40 miles of where I live. I don't believe any of them offer spine tuning or spine testing as an option. Personally, I will no longer shoot an arrow that I haven't spine tested and tuned. I built my own spine tester and find it an indespensible tool. I would say on average, I spend 10 times as much time tuning my arrows than my bow, and that doesn't count the time to actually build them. It has paid off in a huge way.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Straightarrow

I am also a huge believer that the arrow is MUCH ,more important than the bow.One of the reasons that I shoot ACC's.Very consitant arrows.

Here is what gets me everytime.A person walks into a shop.He buys a $700.00 bow,$100.00sights and $100.00 rest.By the time he gets down to choosing arrows,he has spent more than he wanted so instead of changing something,he buys $40.00 a dozenarrows.He just nullified his whole purchse.He is much better off buying $100.00 or more arrows and getting a $400-$500 bow.Not only would he save money but have more consistant arrows that will be a more accurate setup.

I don't think many have a clue how to tune arrows or how important even the glue process can be.This why I still use Easton hotmelt.Glue has to be uniform.I bet many don't realize you can turn nocks many different times (especially with a fallaway) and then if they don't tune,remove the nock and replace it.Funny how a $.50 nock can render a $10.00 arrow useless.One reason why I love the Uni bushing system and g-nocks.

Remeber the arrow is a tuning fork,it should resonate energy(vibrate) all the way to the targetand will tell you all you need to know.Arrows that are too stiff will not vibrate and will not be as accurate at theEXTREME distances.(we all understand why the week arrows are not accurate)Most likely why you see fita arrows such as X-10's offered in such a wide range of arrow spines.12 sizes from 1000 spine all the way to 380 spine. That and for finger shooters that spine is a much more important issue for.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:55 PM

TFOX/Straightarrow:

I was wondering how long you'd let this thread go before you'd step up. Couldn't control yourselves, could you?

Actually, I was just getting ready to 'step up' to clarify some of the points you've made. When the EZE Eye Laser first hit the market, I bought one for evaluation. Shortly thereafter I was telling the attendees at one of my seminars that it should always be verified by other means. I caught a LOT of flack from the owner of EZE Eye. I didn't say it didn't have merit, I just said that it couldn't be trusted on its own merits. As usual, some can't handle the truth.

Also, I just sold my Hooter Shooter. It sat around taking up space and collecting a lot of dust for about 5 years. Just like the EZE Eye, I rarely used it. There are too many variables to depend on specific equipment. I've found that 'comparative' tools and methods coupled with good old fashioned know-how are a good combination. Don't get me wrong, I have a LOT of tools at my disposal and I use most of them often.

There are quite a few bows that come to the top of my head (I'll not mention any names to protect the 'innocent') that will definitely NOT work with the EZE Eye. But, I've found some other uses for it where it just works great!!! Do you think I should tell the manufacturer?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Len,I've been wondering about where you were on this one.

I do agree that the EZE EYE definately has some good uses, but as all things,has it's limitations.

You are right,I couldn't controll myself.[:-]
Old 01-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've found some other uses for it where it just works great!!!
Len, since you jumped in (I was wondering how long you could stay off too, as I've read some of your thoughts on lasers before... ), could you expound on the "other uses" where you've found it works great? Since several of us own this tool, we might as well get maximum benefit out of it...

Quick Reply: A quick bow setup how-to...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.