Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrow questions. >

arrow questions.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow questions.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Spike

Default arrow questions.

i bought a new bowtech allegience this year. 65lbs 29 in draw. i am wondering what arrows to buy. i don't understand all the grains per inch and all that stuff. there are so many choices with gold tip, axis, beman, and maxima's i don't know what to choose. i do want an arrow that is fast and tuff enough for deer. could somebody explain what spine arrows and all that stuff?
Old 09-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: arrow questions.

I'm not sure I can explain your questions without writing all night.

I'll try to explain spine in a sentence or two as I understand it.
The stiffness of the arrow= spine, too weak and the arrow will wobble and kick on it's way to the target because the pressure placed in the nock is too great for the arrow to absorb the energy, the rear tries to flex towards the front on its way down range.
Too stiff isn't as easy to do, but can be done. Not sure how to describe too stiff, just know thatI ran into it this year.

As far as arrows go, I'd recommend Any Beman or Easton in the 340 spine rangewith 100 grain tips.
If speed is your all out concern you might get away with 400 spine, but might find it too weak for the energy the Allegiance produces.
In the end you may be talking 20-30grain difference between 2 like arrows.

Shoot the 340's and be happy with whatever speed they produce, the Allegiance will provide plenty enough for whatever arrow you choose.

My question to you is how did you buy a new Allegiance and leave the proshop without discussing arrows with the purchase?
Did the sale end with the money transfer? Most shops I frequent would at least go over suggested arrow combo's before you left the shop.
The proshop you purchased the bow from should have a nice fleet of arrows ready to test shoot & buy, if the spine proves to be wrong you could swap them out before you left with your new arrows. That is the best way to go when trying to find what a new bow likes IMHO.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Take a look at the website below. There is everything you need to know about selecting the proper arrow for your rig.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhe...-selection.htm
Old 09-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Spike

in response to dave. when i bought the bow the bowshop basically tries to push gold tip down your throat. not that they are a bad arrow by any means but with reading this site there are alot of choices out there ad probably can get them at a better price than the shop.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Listen to Dave. Go to your local shop. Dave is giving really sound advice. He gave you a hint as to what spine to be looking for, too---.340.

Don't give in to all the hype about "this arrow is the greatest" or " I use X and just love them". Considering that you are shooting a 65# compound ANY arrow that spines correctly will be fast enough and heavy enough to shoot deer.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks BGfisher.

The better price than the shops will be washed away very quickly if the arrows don't add up or work to your liking.

If the shop is one you enjoy doing business with then save your money elsewhere and help support the shop. The arrows at most should only run a few dollars more, maybe $10? than what you will end up paying once you ship a set to your house. AND you know what you are getting right then, no waiting; any flaws- swap it out.

If you don't prefer Goldtips just simply state so and ask to see what else he has to offer. If he's hell bent on shoving something down your throat hat you don't want then I'd head elsewhere.

I've dealt with both kinds of shops (great & not so great).
Which are you dealing with?

Old 09-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

If you go to the gold tip web site they have a link to build your own arrow, they also have a kinetic energy calculator that is very simple to use. You can build an arrow, see what the weight is, check the kinetic energy and apply that to almost any arrow you want to look for.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Spike

the shop itself is really a greatshop, they are one of the biggest matthews dealers in the country. and now they are selling bowtech also which makes much better. but if u don't wantgoldtip or some cheap carbon express u have to order them.