Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Nock/Vane Alignment? >

Nock/Vane Alignment?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Nock/Vane Alignment?

Old 09-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Nock/Vane Alignment?

I have been shooting a crossbow for the past 2 years and wanted to get back into shooting my compund. I was at the pro shop last week and brought in an old arrow, he went over it taking the measurments etc. to have a dozen new ones cut. Has he was checking everything down, he said set them for shooting fingers, i said no i shoot with a release, using a shoot-thru rest.He mentioned the nock looked like it was alignedfor fingers. It was an old arrow, the nock was just loose and was moved. No problem. I just picked up the dozenarrows from my pro shop 45mins away, and it looks like he made them to shoot fingers. Can you tell by just looking at how the arrow is on the rest weather there proper or not? I wont be out to the range for a few more days, and dont really want to shoot the arrows if there wrong and I have to go back...

Old 09-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Nock/Vane Alignment?

Heres a pic looking down the arrow... if it makes any difference...

Old 09-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

That is a shoot through rest. The cockfeather should be down...thus, shoot through.....As it sits there now, you'll get fletch contact.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

yep...definently wrong. the cock vane must be centered to pass through the 2 prongs. the cock vane would be your white one. that way its easy to remember..white vane down. i cant tell if you have adjustable or glued in nocks though. if you do you can twist them and align them pretty easily. both times i had arrows done the shop didnt touch the nocks. i had to do it. but its not a big deal with adjustable nocks. just twist them.

also looks like you have a helical on them..gota watch for vane contact even if they are centered. is the rest old?? same style/diameter arrows?? if not you may need to adjust the gap of the prongs also to accomadate better. good luck..let use know if you need help theres alot of good guys here
Old 09-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply. The nocks are glued on, I read about heating them up will melt the glue a little so I can twist them into proper position. Is this an easy enough task, or should I take another drive out to my not so pro-shop and have them fix the problem.

Has for the rest, its old. I got it with the bow (both used) a few years back. Im still shooting, the same size arrow/shaft. Not sure if the rest is adjustable, I will check and get back to you. Thanks again for the help.

ORIGINAL: mauser06

yep...definently wrong. the cock vane must be centered to pass through the 2 prongs. the cock vane would be your white one. that way its easy to remember..white vane down. i cant tell if you have adjustable or glued in nocks though. if you do you can twist them and align them pretty easily. both times i had arrows done the shop didnt touch the nocks. i had to do it. but its not a big deal with adjustable nocks. just twist them.

also looks like you have a helical on them..gota watch for vane contact even if they are centered. is the rest old?? same style/diameter arrows?? if not you may need to adjust the gap of the prongs also to accomadate better. good luck..let use know if you need help theres alot of good guys here
Old 09-03-2006, 04:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive heard of heating them up to move them. if they are alumanums you should be OK. some guys will heat up carbons, but theres alot more glue in carbon shafts then most guys realize. what happens when you heat the carbon and all that glue melts?? but being they are glued in i almost guess they are alumanums?? if so you can slowly heat them up. wont take much..becareful not to over do it.

about adjusting the rest, since they are the same sized shafts dont worry about it. it was HOPEFULLLY adjusted the first time. i wouldnt monkey with it. it can do alot more harm then good if you turn one of the screws and you move something. just try to get that cock vane passing through the 2 prongs and you should be set! good luck..let us know if you need help or anything
Old 09-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Heat the aluminum arrow, not the nock, it will melt. You'll need to take heed on doing so....Your best bet, removed them entirely and add new ones in the correct position.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:08 PM

My guess would be your nocks were put on with epoxy or maybe some sort of super glue, not hot melt glue. You can try it, but if it doesn't work you will probably have to go back to the shop and have them redo them, might end up needing new nocks in the end.

This is why unibushings are so popular on aluminum arrows. I guess they have pretty much started making all aluminum arrows with them from the factory.

They for sure need to be changed for that rest though. And if you want to use a helical you might want to consider feathers next time you get arrows.

Paul