Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tuning trouble

Old 09-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default tuning trouble

I recently went back to a non-drop away rest. NAP Quick tune 3000.

I can not get my feathers to clear the prongs. I have tried rotating the nock, widening the prongs, narrowing the prongs and nothing seems to work. The contact is coming on the inside (closest to the riser) prong. There is so much contact thatmyfeathers arecutting grooves into the teflon prong covers.

I discovered this while trying to paper tune. I am getting a right hand tear. I have tried to increase my draw weight, maxed out. I have increased my tip from 100gr to 125gr. No luck. The only other thing I can find on the net is to go to a weaker spine arrow. But I suspect that my problems are a direct result of feather contact.

I shoot gold tip arrows with a standard right helicaland 4 inch feathers.

Should I go with a shorter feather/fletch? Or straight fletch? or both?

Any suggestions? Other than going back to a drop-away!

Old 09-02-2006, 08:25 PM
t3

Default RE: tuning trouble

have you tried shooting cock vane down? that worked for me when i shot prongs.if your getting a right hand tear paper tuning i think that youre supposed to move the rest to the left.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are your feathers a hard helical now? That is one problem with long hard helical fletch on a thin arrow with a shoot through rest. Perhaps a slight offset might aid in your fix rather than straight. ?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

i had the same goove cut into my inside prong cover. i was also shooting 4" feathers on a right helical. i couldnt figure out what the heck did it. but thinking about it now i can bet it was from the base of the feather since they are a bit larger then the actual feather. i didnt have any tuning problems though. well maybe i did...i had clean tears, but my rest was absolutely maxed out as far from the riser as could be. broadheads hit a few inches right at 15yds. had my arrows cut 2 inches to stiffen the arrows. but at the same time i had them refletched with blazers. i love feathers..and the look of feathers, but i shot too much and am not careful enough. i beat them up pretty bad. you would think widdening the prong gap would help though?? if all else fails head to the shop and let them take a look.

can i ask why you switched back from a dropaway?? im thinking of switching from a nap 1000 TO a dropaway after this season. just curious. im not having troubles with my 1000, but as your seeing its kinnda fussy and such..but im sure dropaways can be too
Old 09-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

I am shooting cock feather down.

I would have to correct myself and say that my feathers are offset instead of helical. I am not exactly sure what the fine line between an offset and a soft helical is. I can say that it is not a hard helical!

As far as moving the rest to the left, I maxed it out to the left with no luck.

I have used the APA ultimate safari twister for the last 2 years and I thought it was loud and I just did not have full confidence in it.

I do not shoot a high tech or high price set up (PSE Dakota).So, I thought I would go back to the simple basics. Not to mention I picked up the Q.T. 3000 for 20.00 on e-bay. Instead of spending 50.00 plus on a new drop away.

I was thinking about trying the 2" Quick Spin SpeedHunters or the new 3.125" quick spin.

http://www.apaarchery.com/rests_stw.html