Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Crest removal tip. >

Crest removal tip.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Crest removal tip.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Crest removal tip.

Some of you may do this but I thought I would share.Last night I refletched a couple dozen arrows,and had to remove the crest wraps on some.I used a heat gun,and there was a glue residue left,I removed the sticky glue residue with a product called "goof off"it smells like bug tar remover and worked great.I then wiped off the solventwith a clean rag and fletched right away.It worked great .
Old 08-27-2006, 08:01 PM

Default RE: Crest removal tip.

Excellent tip! Thanks! I use denatured alcohol, and while it works great, it's not always that easy to find...I'm gonna give that a try!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:09 PM

thnx for the tip....i may have to replace some of my wraps this year
Old 08-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good idea.

It's also very easy just to use a Zip Strip. I'll see if I can find a pic...

Takes like five seconds, and no gooey mess.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

to get the glue off mineral spirits works good too.or acetone just don't get any acetone on the numbers from the manufacture it will take the paint right off.mineral spirits won't harm the paint at all even on bow risers.if you use like muffs or any kind of felt on your shelf of the riser.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:03 PM

to get the glue off mineral spirits works good too.or acetone just don't get any acetone on the numbers from the manufacture it will take the paint right off.
Yea, I was removing some wraps and was having a hard time getting the glue off. Brake cleaner sure does the trick and does it fast but now one of my goldtips is just a blank arrow.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Spike

I was having trouble getting fletching off some Gold Tips that I had shot up practicing using a fletching stripper, and called the manufacturer to find out the best method to removing fletching. Gold Tip tech support told me they remove the nock and drop the fletched end of the arrow in a solvent (acetone or similar) and let it soak for a few minutes then just wipe off the residue.

I got a metal can about 7" deep filled it with acetone so that it would just cover the leading edge of the fletching and it worked just like they said. I am sure that this method would work with wraps as well, and you don't risk damaging the outer layer of carbon with any metal object.

Also - Gold Tip informed me that the only thing (aside from scraping the carbon with a metal stripper) which would really damage a carbon arrow is HEAT! The layers are bonded using high pressure and heat, and if you heat the carbon you run the risk of destroying that bond.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

gtouseyI can see how heat could damage carbon shafts for sure.On the beman ICS arrows if you look real close you'll see what looks like a clear coat coating.I have always scraped my fletches off and noticed sometimes in the past some of that coming off.I had allways thought that the acetone(main chemical in nail polish remover)would hinder good adhersion of fletching???Maybe it doesent,I know that it does remove the carbon fletch glues(super glue)real good.Thank's for the heads up I'll try it sometime and see how my fletch stay on.The Goof off product is really good for removing glue and sticky stuff like tar,and is somewhat mild compared to alot of chemicals.