Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How many Creep Tunes? >

How many Creep Tunes?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How many Creep Tunes?

Old 08-11-2006, 01:04 PM
bigcountry

Default How many Creep Tunes?

I have tried about every tuning method I can think of besides creep tuning. How reliable is it for tuning for forgivness? My favorite is broadhead tuning.

When you creep tune, do you only creep right in the valley or different places?

Is there any variations of the technique for single cam or cam and half or only valid for dual cam. I imagine on ly for dual.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:21 PM

Default RE: How many Creep Tunes?

I don't think creep tuning is going to work too well on the newer high let off bows with almost no valley. I think it was used and works better with older bows with wheels or eccentrics and low let offs with a generous valley and poor back wall.

If you have a problem with creeping forward on a newer bow my suggestion would be to fix your draw length because there is a problem with that, not your tuning. I just pull back until the string stops and set my anchor points. If you have trouble creeping forward with less than 20 lbs of holding weight I don't know what to tell you.

If you do try this with a newer compound let me know or video it, because I want to watch you try it when the cam or cams break over. I wouldn't want to try it with my bowtech I know that.

Paul
Old 08-12-2006, 09:21 PM

The purpose of creep tuning is to syncronize the cams to roll over at exactly the same time in order to achieve straightnock travel. Spot Hogg has a good newsletter on their website on the desirability of straight nock travel.As with arrows, the straighter the better, but unless it's really bad, it's probably not a big issue for most archers.
If you have the equipment, the knowledge and the time, you can adjust your bow for straight nock travel without creep tuning.This can be done tosome single cam and hybrid cam bows.
I'm not sure if all of the single & hybrid bows can achieve straight nock travel or if it matters.Maybe someone with more experience than I have can answer this.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:00 PM
bigcountry

I was reading where chuck adams was saying you actually want the top cam to be a little early for most forgiving shot.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have done it with dual cams, and it can make a bow somewhat more forgiving. Creeping is a form flaw, usuallly associated with draw length being too long, but in a hunting situation, you don't always have the luxury of perfect form. You can also get differences in POI with differences in pressure when pulling into the wall. I never had too much trouble getting dual cams tuned with 65% letoff, but with some 80% letoff duals, it was a pain to get them to stop high/low double grouping. Newer bows with 65% letoff modules often have no valley, which I personally don't like, even with a correct draw length. On the Ben Pearson website there is a good bow technician, Javi, who has a good explanation of creep tuning hybrids. He did a lot of work with Hoyt Cam.5 and now shoots Pearson Hybrids (CPS). My experience has been that the CPS system is the most tolerant of creep or how hard you pull into the wall. As far as singles go, I am not aware of anything you can really do about the situation. Most singles don't have much of a valley, but there are some that do. I remember a nice little bow that shot very well except for one thing. It was a Golden Eagle bow with a PWC cam. It was a lot like the Bear Vapor 300, but with a swing arm cable guard. That bow would stack arrows nicely, then for no apparent reason, put a shot 5-6" high at 30 yards. I finally figured out that I must have been pulling a little harder into the wall on the high shots, but it was such a small difference I didn't really notice it before the shot went off. Unlike duals or hybrids, there was nothing I could do to lessen the problem.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have done it with Hoyt's cam 1/2 and it is very valuable BECAUSE it will give you the same result on shots shot HARD off the wall or SOFT off the wall.We all have tendancies to get lazy from time to time and not do things EXACTLY the same.A cam 1/2 will shoot slightly different when not creep tuned to shoot the same from hard into the wall and when shot barely into the wall.

Paul is right about the valley and creep tuning for the cam 1/2 has changed from valley tuning to wall tuning.

What happens alot is when you pull hard into the wall,the shot will go higher than it will if shot off he edge of the wall.Atleast this is what I remeber it doing the last time I messed with it.This has been some time.

I must say,it is a very small amount and the only ones I can see getting an advantage would be SERIOUS target shooters.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:22 PM
bigcountry

I have a old PSE Mohave I keep for my backup and its killed alot of deer.. But I get dual groups with it. No backwall at all. I bet it would be very benfitual for a bow like this. Actually the bow is faster than even my new bowtech and when it groups, its groups better than my bowtech. Just never liked the vertical groups I sometimes get. To be consistent with my groups, and consistently pull back to same place, I have to over pull it and drop back down in the valley.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

With a bow like that, it should definitely help.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Razortec shoots 3 inches low at 25 yards when I pull hard into the wall. I'm going to take it to the shop to make sure them cams are rolling over at the same time.