Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Removing nock buttons >

Removing nock buttons

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Removing nock buttons

Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Removing nock buttons

Alright, I shoot with a release loop, and that is centered with on about 6 inchs of serving or some sort of string wrap around the actual cable, I recently put nock buttons on it to hold the kisser in place and just tightened them down with needle nose pliers, it didn't seem to help much so i took them off, they popped off pretty easy with the pliers, it made a U style crimp, not totally encloseing the string, it moved the serving a little, but didn't seem to hurt the string underneath, or fray it or the serving, my question is do you think I should replace the string or keep it, it shoots fine still and doesn't appear to be damaged, i moved the serving back where it should go by hand and nothing appears to be damaged, thank you for any advice.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Removing nock buttons

Answering your original question I'd say the string is probably fine. What bothers me is the serving issue. If your serving separated from crimping on a couple nock sets and you were able to slide it back together then I'd say the serving is too loose to remain on the bow. I'd get it reserved. What could end up happening is that the nocking point could possibly move on you from shooting.

The serving was probably poor to start with. Not bashing, but although Hoyt makes fine bows their strings leave a lot to be desired. They have a tendency to creep which will lead to a longer drawlength, higher peak weight, bow going out of tune over time, and the dreaded serving separation---especially around the cam modules.

If I were you I'd eventually replace all the rigging on the bow with some aftermarket rigging. Look up Gibblet here on this site. He makes good ones and at a reasonable cost. You'll be a much happy camper down the road.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:50 PM

Default RE: Removing nock buttons

The string could probably use a new serving and while the string is fine, BGfisher makes good points about improving it with one of Gibblet's.