Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow to short?

Old 08-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow to short?

My dad just got some arrows from the pro shop, and when he brought them home, i told them they were way to short. There were under 27 with the nock included. No fieldpoint.He is pulling back 28 inches. So we called the pro shop back and they said that is how they always do it. Is this right, i always thought that the arrows if anythingshould be the same size or maybea little longer then what you are pulling back.
What are your thoughts?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Arrow to short?

Are they long enough on the rest at full draw? Draw length and arrow length do not have to correlate.

I pull 28.5 inches and my arrows at 27" long....really depends on the rest, etc....

I usually cut arrows slightly longer than the rest contact...maybe a half inch, sometimes less...depends.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your most likely fine. A lot of people are cutting them shorter than the draw length now. You can go really short with the WB..
But I use the WB and I have a 28inch draw and use 28 inch arrows..
Works good but if i wanted to cut another inch off I could.. but I really can't afford to loose another inch.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:38 PM

it depends on where your rest is like some are right on the shelf and then there are some that go before the shelf or behind it.like i use the whisker biscuit and its before the shelf......soas long as the arrows that your dad got are about an inch or so farther than thye rest at full draw then they should be good but if your arrows dont even lay or touch the rest i would reccomend that you get longer ones or shorten your drawlength and/or get a whisker biscuit or a rest that goes behind the shelf of your bow
Old 08-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys i guess i was totally wrong, he has a whisker biscuit and the arrow sticks about an inch past the rest. I even gave it a try and my groups actually got a lot tighter. I was shooting dead on at 20 yards and about an inch low at 30. All with the same pin.Normally i'm shooting a good 5 inches low at 30. I guess i might have to get some of these arrows as well.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:49 PM

AMO draw length for a true 28 inch draw length would be 27 1/4 inches long from the throat of the nock to the insert.

AMO arrow length is decribed as one inch past the point the arrow contacts the rest. However this is assuming the rest is in the correct position directly above where your hand contacts the grip. This is the most forgiving position for arrow to rest contact.

Most newer drop a ways have some sort of overdraw to them, so you could actually get away with a slightly shorter arrow.

If you use any of the arrow charts or online calculators they go by AMO arrow length. They never ask your draw length, just your arrow length. They calculate your draw length from the arrow length and just assume you have the correct length arrows. If you shoot a longer than normal arrow you will have to take that into acount when using the chart or calculator. If you shoot a shorter than normal arrow you would have to tell it ( chart or calculator) that you were using an overdraw.

Using a shorter arrow is normally more stiff in spine, using a longer arrow is weaker in spine. You are better off to err on the stiff side since it doesn't effect tuning or flight as much as a weak arrow will.

I think his arrows are probably pretty much the correct length. The only way to know for sure is have him draw one and see where it stops in relationship to the rest or risor. One inch really doesn't effect that much in most cases anyway, so most just shoot arrows the same length as their draw length because it is easier to remember. Some shoot a longer arrow because they like the broad head to extend past the risor. I personally shoot arrows that are a tad shorter than they need to be.

Paul
Old 09-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

go to the pro shop and show them....confidence in equip is important
Old 09-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of the time they will cut the arrow 1 inch shorter than your draw. Say like me, I have a 30 inch draw there for my arrows are 29 with nock to the end of the arrow.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 29.5" draw length and shoot 27" arrows with a whisker biscuit. Works great.