Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which has more recoil, the Short Mag or the non Short Mag >

Which has more recoil, the Short Mag or the non Short Mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which has more recoil, the Short Mag or the non Short Mag

Old 12-08-2004, 05:28 PM

Default Which has more recoil, the Short Mag or the non Short Mag

I have never shot one of those short mags but have read they recoil more than the regular load of them (the 300WSM having more than the 300Winchester Mag etc.) buy my friend insists they recoil less. So im just wondering what is the scoop with that?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:07 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Which has more recoil, the Short Mag or the non Short Mag

I say the win mag does. The recoil formula we are used to seeing takes into account the amount of powder. I do find it to be right. The win mag uses slower powder and the recoil is different, maybe not more or less. But you usually use more of it. I mean so much of it has to do with the shape of the stock, and inside barrel dimenions, etc.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think they are really close, if not the same as far as felt recoil goes.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:30 PM

[link]http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm[/link]
this has probly been posted before...I don't think I could notice a few pounds difference. not a bench shooter, I don't notice recoil standing & taking game in the 7 mag range. good form helps too, make sure your stock is firmly planted in your shoulder unless you want a cut eyebrow or sore arm
Old 12-08-2004, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the info guys
Old 12-09-2004, 05:31 AM

For what it is worth:
I used a 270 win for more years than I can count and recently bought a 270 WSM. There is no detectialbe difference in recoil that I can notice between the two, same basic model of rifle for both. I know that 270 is not a MAG, but the 270 WSM is. I know that the new WSM's use an ultra fast burning powder, maybe that has something to do with it?
Old 12-09-2004, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, I like that chart in the hyperlink that Luckypuck posted. That is really interesting!

Man, look at the difference in my 30-30 w/ 150gr bullet versus a 30-06 w/ 180gr bullet! Darn near double the recoil! How about this.... Can you imagine shooting the .460 Weatherby Mag?!? Holy s***!!!!! [&:][]

Butch A.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:53 AM
bigcountry

an ultra fast burning powder
Wonder what powder that is. Never heard that one before. The 270win and 270WSM use bascially the same powder, with the WSM utilizing powder more on the slow side. In other words I couldn't see using 4064 in a WSM. Comparing the WSM and 270, I find the 270WSM kicking much harder out of almost identical winchester feather. But I use a 47gr IMR4064 load for the 270win and Re22 for the 270WSM.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot the 300 WSM owned several.IMHO my 30-06 in my 7600 kicked harder than the 300 wsm.
Now the diffrence between the 300 Win and the 300 WSM was noticble,could be the guns the 300 Win was in a plain jane Ruger and it hurt like a SOB.The short was in the super shadow and the Featherweight and I didn't realy notice.Could be the design of the guns,like Savages hurt me terible in mild calibers like 270 win and 308 win.I have a Mauser built in 416 Rem mag. and I laugh everytime I pull the trigger,it just makes me happy to shoot it.I had a Safari Winchester M-70 in 375 H&H that with 300 gr bullets you knew it was there but tolorable.I also had a 450 marlin in Marlin's guide gun I sold after three boxes of rounds,to lound and kicked like a mule.I shot a 338 ultra mag that was so mild it's on my to get list after X-mass.I also hunt with a .338 Win Mag almost exclusively.
So I have come to the conclusion that if the gun don't fit ya,no matter the round recoil is diffrent.Thats why I stay alot with Winchesters and Remingtons,only Browning I've shot was the BAR.
BBJ
Old 12-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

the short mag has much more recoil. go to google and type "rifle recoil table" and click on teh first like at www.charleshawks.com/some weird stuff. and that will tell u what u need to know

Quick Reply: Which has more recoil, the Short Mag or the non Short Mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.