Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Pendulum Sight Not Working >

Pendulum Sight Not Working

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pendulum Sight Not Working

Old 08-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pendulum Sight Not Working

I bought the Vital Bow Gear Camelback pendulum about a month ago, and i still can't get it working right. It sighted it in on the ground at 20 yards, and it is working fine from 5 to 20 yards,but anything after 20 yards the arrow starts hitting low, and by the time it reaches 30 yards, it is consistently 8-10 inches low. I know the majority of the people don't use pendulum sights, but of the few that do, i have never heard them complain about the arrow dropping 10 inches between 20 and 30 yards. I'mpulling back 55# on my PSE Bruin along with a 27 inch draw and it's shooting about 230 fps. Thanks for the help
Old 08-07-2006, 02:53 PM
t3

Default RE: Pendulum Sight Not Working

are you saying that it shoots low on the ground or up in a tree stand? because i have the same problem with my pendulum on the ground but up in a tree (which pendulums are made for) mine shoots well out to those distances that you stated.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's weird... Illinoisbow, I too have the Camelback pendulum and really like it. I got mine set dead on at 20 yards flat ground, andhavealso shotitwhile standing up on my back porch roof! The pendulum worked fine and I was dead on accurate at 5 yards (like they say to test from). So I shot it from 20 yards away from up on my porch roof and was pretty accurate (seemed just an eyelash low, but nothing out of the ordinary).

Here's something that will really bake your noodle with the pendulum sight:

- Flat ground 5 yards, 10 yards, 20 yards, pendulum locked in: Dead on accurate.
- 5 yards 15' up on porch roof, pendulum opened: Dead on accurate
- 20 yards again up on porch roof, pendulum opened: Accurate, to maybe 1/2" low... maybe...

{but get this}
20 yards again up on porch roof, pendulum locked in: Dead on accurate!
5 yards up on porch roof, pendulum locked in: Still dead on accurate!

Perhaps I am bending from the waist and using the single pin properly and somehow am dead on accurate at 20 yards with it locked in. I don't know... It's very strange.... [:-]

Old 08-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: t3

are you saying that it shoots low on the ground or up in a tree stand?
I'm saying that it shoots low in the treestand with the pendulum action unlocked.

That is pretty strange ButchA, but hey whatever works.

Is it possible that maybe the Pendulum action dosen't work at the height i'm practicing at. I know i'm 15 feetup the tree like you ButchA, but i am on adownhill slopeand my targets are on top of the slope so in reality the targetsareprobably only 11 feet below me. Would you think that the Pendulum action wouldn't work properlyfrom that height off the groundfor greater distances?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard people talk about pendulums, and now they can (and do) cause some problems with distance estimating, if you are on a downslope (or upslope - for that matter).

The pendulumcan't compensate for the hypotenuse(?) of the angle if the terrain isn't level. Example: It isassuming that you are 20' in the air and your target is 25 yards away on flat level ground. If your target is 25 yards away on a downslope, then the distance is going to be perceived to be off. ...at least that's my understanding of it.

I like my VBG Camelback pendulum, but might pick up another sight to play with as a backup, in case, for some reason, I decide to switch back to a fixed pin sight. (Mobowhuntr has a cool VBG Pro Slide sight that he really likes).

Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a tru-glo pedulum and it seems to work fine. On level ground it's simply a one pin sight and will shoot low at 30. From my balcony it shoots great unlocked. Good form will also help keep you on target. One suggestion practice on level ground with it unlocked. Mine gives off some vibration on the shot ( you can see it shake if I hold a long time and start getting the shakes) This vibration can throw your shot off especially if you use a shoot thru prong rest!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks alot for the help, i'll probably go shooting again in a couple days, i can't go shooting in my backyard anymore since my one and only good size tree just got cut down. But when i go out i will be sure to test all the differences between trees on slopes and trees on level ground. It's time to get that puppy sighted in